2nd BS versus MS versus ? Options?

• Thread starter Dreamglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether to pursue a second bachelor's degree or pursue other options, such as taking coursework at a community college or online program. They have a low GPA from their first bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and are interested in studying programming, software design, and user experience. They are also concerned about funding for a second degree or graduate program.
Dreamglo
Hello!

I am posting b/c I'm not sure where to ask this question.

My question is - I want to go back to school to learn programming, SW design and U/X. I want to study system architecture or comp sys engineering. My first bachelors was in mechanical engineering, but my undergraduate record was not strong - I changed my major several times and finished with a 2.5 GPA.

Now I have a question. Since my BS track record was so poor and I have limited computer experience beyond CAD work and an IT background, should I get a second BS? I have done some prelim research and have learned tht there is very stringent / no funding or loans for a 2nd BS if you are not currently enrolled as a student - you can only get aid for graduate work. But since my record is so bad I won't get admitted to a master's program.

I was wondering if I should get the experience I need to switch gears from:

1) Trying to get into grad school (... and probably failing)

2) Trying to get into a BS program

3) Taking some coursework via DeVry or UofPhoenix or some community college work (would be lower level but at least I could get some experience and pursue some professional coding / design work on the side)

I know I will have to get some work out of the way and learn more before continuing and I will have issues with funding regardless of what route I take - I was just wondering if there were any 2nd degree (post-graduating w/ the first) holders out there or people who didn't have such a great BS / BA record applying to a grad or other program?

What should I do here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try the 2nd or third option-they will both cost money! I'm wondering about funding myself...

1. What is the difference between a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree?

A 2nd Bachelor's degree is a second undergraduate degree obtained after completing a first Bachelor's degree. A Master's degree is a graduate-level degree usually obtained after completing a Bachelor's degree. The main difference between the two is the level of education and the depth of knowledge in a specific field.

2. Which degree option is better for career advancement?

It depends on the individual's career goals and the industry they are in. A Master's degree is generally considered more advanced and may lead to higher-level job opportunities and higher salaries. However, a 2nd Bachelor's degree may be beneficial in fields where a specific undergraduate degree is required for certain positions.

3. Can I pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree if my first degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree in a different field than your first degree. However, some universities may have specific requirements or prerequisites for students with a different undergraduate background.

4. Is it possible to use credits from my Bachelor's degree towards a Master's degree?

It is possible in some cases to transfer credits from a Bachelor's degree towards a Master's degree, but it ultimately depends on the specific university and program. Some universities may have restrictions on which credits can be transferred, and there may be a limit on the number of credits that can be transferred.

5. Can I pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue both a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree simultaneously, but it may require a significant time commitment and careful planning. It is important to consult with academic advisors and carefully consider the workload before deciding to pursue both degrees at the same time.