Assembling mass matrix for transient heat conduction pde

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the weak form of the transient heat conduction equation for FEM and the assembly of the mass matrix for an element. It is explained that the mass matrix is a product of a vector containing shape functions and its transpose, and that the individual terms are integrated. The process of assembling the element matrices into the global matrix is also mentioned.
nu_hash
I have derived the weak form of the transient heat conduction equation (for FEM) and I am having trouble trying to assemble the mass matrix

This is the PDE:
[itex]
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} = \alpha \nabla^2U
[/itex]

This is the equation for the mass matrix for an element:
[itex]
M^e = \int \Psi \Psi^T dx
[/itex]
where psi is a matrix containing the shape functions of the element.

I am quite new to FEM so I am not sure how the mass matrix is supposed to be assembled, I understand that I have to use the gauss quadrature to complete the integral but I just can't figure how the matrix containing the shape functions is assembled (i.e. I don't know what numbers go where)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
##\mathbf\Psi## is a vector ##\begin{bmatrix}\psi_1(x) \\ \cdots \\ \psi_n(x) \end{bmatrix}## where the ##\psi_i(x)## are the shape functions for the ##n## nodes (grid points) in the element.

So ##\mathbf \Psi\mathbf\Psi^T## is an ##n \times n## matrix, and you integrate the individual terms ##M_{ij}^e = \int \psi_i(x)\psi_j(x)\,dx##.

To assemble the element matrices into the global matrix, you label the rows and columns of the global matrix using the node (grid) numbers, and then add each element matrix into the the correct node number positions.

Likes 1 person
Thanks that seems to make more sense now.

1. How is the mass matrix formed for transient heat conduction PDE?

The mass matrix for transient heat conduction PDE is formed by discretizing the PDE equation using a finite element method. This involves dividing the domain into smaller elements and approximating the solution within each element using a set of basis functions. The mass matrix is then constructed by integrating the basis functions multiplied by their corresponding coefficients over each element.

2. What is the purpose of the mass matrix in transient heat conduction PDE?

The mass matrix is used to represent the mass of the system in the PDE equation. In transient heat conduction, the mass matrix represents the heat capacity of the material and is essential in calculating the change in temperature over time.

3. How does the size of the mass matrix affect the accuracy of the solution?

The size of the mass matrix is directly proportional to the number of elements used in the finite element method. Generally, a larger mass matrix results in a more accurate solution. However, a balance must be struck between accuracy and computational efficiency, as a larger mass matrix also increases the computational time and resources required.

4. Can the mass matrix be modified to account for different material properties?

Yes, the mass matrix can be modified to account for different material properties by adjusting the coefficients of the basis functions used in the discretization process. This allows for the mass matrix to accurately represent the heat capacity of different materials.

5. How is the mass matrix used in solving the transient heat conduction PDE?

The mass matrix is used in solving the transient heat conduction PDE by multiplying it with the vector of temperature values at each time step. This results in a system of equations that can be solved using numerical methods, such as the finite element method, to obtain the temperature distribution over time.