Different forms of Schrodinger equation

In summary, the Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that was developed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. It has two main forms - time-dependent and time-independent - and is related to the wave function of a quantum system. This equation is significant in making predictions about quantum systems and understanding the wave-particle duality, but has limitations in not accounting for relativistic effects, gravity, and multiple particles.
QMechanic
I got confused when in my book they went from one form of schrodinger equation to another. It doesn't make much sense to me algebraically, probably i have some lacks in complex numbers. Here are the equations:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1408664897.433080.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1408664909.413206.jpg

In the second one I think it's implied that above two equations give third and I am not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
The last equation of the second picture is the same as the equation in the other picture, just multiplied by ##\frac{-i}{\hbar}## (note that -i * i = 1)

Thanks I completely forgot about it haha

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. What are the different forms of the Schrodinger equation?

There are two main forms of the Schrodinger equation: the time-dependent Schrodinger equation and the time-independent Schrodinger equation. The time-dependent form describes the evolution of a quantum system over time, while the time-independent form is used to find the stationary states of a system.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation related to the wave function?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that relates the wave function of a quantum system to its energy and potential. The wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state and evolves over time according to the Schrodinger equation.

4. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as the probabilities of different outcomes in experiments. It also provides a framework for understanding the wave-particle duality of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger equation?

While the Schrodinger equation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has some limitations. It does not take into account relativistic effects, which are important for particles moving at high speeds. It also does not account for the effects of gravity, and cannot be used to describe systems with multiple particles.