Final Exam Help: Converging Lens and Light Bulb

In summary, to solve this problem, you can use the formula 1/p + 1/q = 1/f, where p is the object distance, q is the image distance, and f is the focal length. In this case, the object distance is 53 cm and the focal length is 15.0 cm, so you can rearrange the formula to solve for q, which is the distance from the lens to the screen. Plugging in the values, you can find q to be approximately 11.47 cm. Therefore, the screen should be placed 11.47 cm from the lens to focus the image of the object.
ajc9387
Woo, this is on my final exam and i don't know if there's a formula or something to solve it. really need help. anything is appreciated.

A converging lens with a focal length of 15.0 cm is placed 53 cm from a light bulb. Where would you place a screen to focus an image of the object? :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
ajc9387 said:
Woo, this is on my final exam and i don't know if there's a formula or something to solve it. really need help. anything is appreciated.

A converging lens with a focal length of 15.0 cm is placed 53 cm from a light bulb. Where would you place a screen to focus an image of the object? :uhh:
click the link below to see a drawing. do you recall how to apply the formula below from your textbook?

http://img31.echo.cx/img31/1521/img12642ah.png

[tex] \frac{1}{p} \ + \ \frac{1}{q} \ = \ \frac{1}{f} [/tex]

In case those variables were confusing, I rewrote them.

[tex]\frac{1}{d_i} + \frac{1}{d_0} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

d_0 = object distance
d_i = image distance
f = focal length

1. What is a converging lens and how does it work?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the center and thinner at the edges. It is able to bend or refract light rays that pass through it, causing them to converge at a focal point. This allows the lens to magnify or focus an object, making it appear larger or clearer.

2. How do I determine the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens can be determined by using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance. The focal length can also be calculated by measuring the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image produced by a converging lens?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a focal point and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a focal point but do not actually converge. Virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen.

4. How does a light bulb produce light?

A light bulb contains a filament made of tungsten that is heated by an electric current. As the filament heats up, it begins to emit light in the form of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. This process is known as incandescence.

5. How can I calculate the power of a light bulb?

The power of a light bulb can be calculated using the formula P = I x V, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and V is voltage in volts. The power rating of a light bulb is typically listed on the packaging or the bulb itself.