Observational Evidence for Extra Dimensions from Dark Matter

In summary, the paper titled "Explaining Astronomical Observations of Dark Matter with Extra Dimensions" discusses the possibility of extra dimensions in the universe based on observations of dark matter in small galaxies and galaxy clusters. The authors suggest that these extra dimensions are "big," with a size of about a nanometre, and that they may explain the concept of time and motion in the universe. However, the exact nature of these dimensions and their implications are still under debate.
Vast
http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0508572

I like the way the title of this paper captures ones attention. For a minute there I thought they had finally found some evidence for string theory.

From what I understand they’re speculating on astronomical observations of dark matter, by comparing the strength of self-interacting dark matter in small galaxies and that of galaxy clusters, (which is still under debate) and suggesting that this is potential evidence for extra dimensions. However these extra dimensions are bigger than usual:

The extra dimensions that Silk and colleagues say they have identified are likewise 'big', at about a nanometre across. In other words, they say, the Universe is only about a nanometre wide in these three 'directions'.

Nature

Don’t ask me to picture that in my head. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd kinda figured 6 spatial dimensions also...

...2 sets of 3 interchanging at superluminal speed to create time and motion

only my 3 are exactly the same size blinking in and out in the same spot...

...nothing actually moves, its only the background changing shape or in our case the foreground

I have to say, while the idea of extra dimensions is certainly intriguing, this paper seems to be based on some pretty shaky assumptions and speculative interpretations of data. I would need to see a lot more evidence and solid theoretical framework before I could fully accept this idea. Dark matter is still a very mysterious and poorly understood phenomenon, and I think it's important to approach any claims about it with caution and skepticism. But I do appreciate the creative thinking and exploration of new ideas in this field.

What is dark matter and how is it related to extra dimensions?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light, making it invisible to traditional detection methods. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Some theories suggest that dark matter could be evidence of extra dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space that we currently observe.

How does the presence of extra dimensions affect our understanding of dark matter?

If extra dimensions do exist, it could explain why dark matter is so elusive and difficult to detect. The extra dimensions could provide extra space for dark matter particles to exist and interact, making it more difficult for us to observe them in our three-dimensional world.

What observational evidence supports the existence of extra dimensions from dark matter?

One piece of observational evidence is the rotation curves of galaxies, which suggest that there is more mass present than what we can observe with traditional detection methods. This unseen mass is believed to be dark matter, and the presence of extra dimensions could help explain its distribution and effects on visible matter.

Is there any experimental evidence for extra dimensions from dark matter?

While there is no direct experimental evidence for extra dimensions from dark matter, researchers are using various methods to try and detect or indirectly observe these dimensions. These include experiments with particle accelerators, gravitational wave detectors, and studying the cosmic microwave background radiation.

What are the implications of confirming the existence of extra dimensions from dark matter?

If extra dimensions are confirmed to exist through evidence from dark matter, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It could also open up new avenues for research and exploration, as we try to unravel the mysteries of these hidden dimensions and their role in our universe.