Topic for term paper: Important figure in pre-CW American history

In summary, the person is looking for suggestions for an important figure from before the end of the Civil War or someone who is less well known than others. They also need resources for the project.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok I need me some super help. I have a term paper due next monday and things have just been piling on me like there's no tomorrow so I am barely getting a topic as we speak :cry: :cry: :cry: . So I need some suggestions here. I need an important figure to do a report on that was famous or notable before the end of the Civil War (and after 1400's) but they cannot be REALLY famous people (Washington, Jefferson, Robert E. Lee, Hamilton, other well known founding fathers, or British monarchs). I also need some information if anyone happens to have any off the top of their head and resources (that can basically only be first/secondhand accounts, diaries, books (not textbooks), and magazine articles).

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I am pretty much spending every waking hour for the next 5 days looking for every little bit of information or idea that i can find.

Oh and of course, by Wednesday I have to do a presentation on String Theory! Man life sucks right now. Thanksgiving will truly have meaning for me and it's going to be more like "thank god I haven't gone on a murderous rampage because every professor thinks I am cannon fodder for their grade books".

Save a penguin o:) o:) o:)

Science news on Phys.org
Try the Shawnee Indian leader, Tecumseh. Late 1700s-early 1800's. He and his brother Tenskwatawa lead a nearly successfull attempt to form a coalition of many disparate tribes to drive all white people back to the east side of the Mississippi. Much more than a footnote, but less than "REALLY" famous.

ooo and i thought he was on our list of people we couldn't use.. but he's not! I'll keep that in mind.

Ugh, I need resources! They pretty much have ot be eyewitnes accounts, journals, magazine articles, diaries, and books. Any suggestions.

Last edited:

1. Who is considered an important figure in pre-Civil War American history?

The term "important figure" is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. However, some commonly recognized figures in pre-Civil War American history include George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglass.

2. What contributions did George Washington make to pre-Civil War America?

George Washington is known as the "Father of our Country" for his leadership during the American Revolution and his role in shaping the early government of the United States. He also played a crucial role in defining the role of the president and setting precedents for future leaders.

3. How did Thomas Jefferson impact pre-Civil War America?

Thomas Jefferson is best known for writing the Declaration of Independence and serving as the third president of the United States. He also played a significant role in expanding the country's territory through the Louisiana Purchase and promoting the idea of individual rights and limited government.

4. What was Abraham Lincoln's role in pre-Civil War America?

Abraham Lincoln is widely recognized as one of the most important figures in American history. He served as the 16th president and is credited with preserving the Union during the Civil War and abolishing slavery with the Emancipation Proclamation.

5. What were the contributions of Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass to pre-Civil War America?

Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both influential abolitionists in pre-Civil War America. Tubman is known for her role in the Underground Railroad, helping enslaved individuals escape to freedom. Douglass was a prominent speaker and writer, advocating for the end of slavery and equal rights for all Americans.