Defining a Function in a Partially Ordered Set - Homework Assistance

• Thread starter ar6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation is about defining a new set, f(a), which consists of all x values in set A that are less than or equal to a. Examples and clarifications are given, and the conversation also touches on the possibility of A being a set of real numbers or a collection of sets. One person expresses confusion about how to define the function, but another person provides a potential solution.
ar6

Homework Statement

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7967/73673315fq3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite confused as to how to define the function. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The new set, [tex] f(a) [/tex], is a set consisting of all [tex] x \epsilon A [/tex] s.t. [tex] x \leq a [/tex].

For example, consider [tex] A = \mathbb{N} [/tex]. Look at [tex] f(5) [/tex]. This is simply [tex] \{1,2,3,4,5\} [/tex].

So, for the first part, you need to show that

[tex] f(a)=f(b) \Rightarrow a=b [/tex]

I'll stop here, just in case you need more assistance.

Last edited:
In other words, f(a) is the set of all members of A that are less than or equal to a.

If A were the set of real numbers with the usual order (which is, or course, not "partial"), then f(3)= ([itex]-\infty[/itex],3]. If A were a collection of sets, with "<" meaning set inclusion (that is a "partial" order) then f(a) is the collection of all subsets of a.

ar6 said:
I am quite confused as to how to define the function. Any help would be appreciated.
What's wrong with [itex]f(a) = \{ \, x \mid x \in A \wedge x \leq a \, \}[/itex]?

Yea I was confused last night and reading too much into the question. I got it (i think) now.

1. What is a partially ordered set?

A partially ordered set, also known as a poset, is a set in which there is a binary relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. This means that for any two elements in the set, there is either a partial ordering between them or they are equivalent.

2. How is a partially ordered set different from a totally ordered set?

A partially ordered set does not have a defined ordering for all elements in the set, while a totally ordered set has a defined ordering for all elements. In a partially ordered set, there may be elements that are not comparable to each other, whereas in a totally ordered set, all elements can be compared.

3. What is the difference between a partial ordering and a strict partial ordering?

In a partial ordering, elements may be equal to each other, while in a strict partial ordering, elements are not equal to each other. This means that in a strict partial ordering, there cannot be reflexive elements, whereas in a partial ordering, there can be reflexive elements.

4. Can a partially ordered set have multiple minimal or maximal elements?

Yes, a partially ordered set can have multiple minimal or maximal elements. This is because a partially ordered set only requires that there is a partial ordering between elements, not a total ordering. Therefore, there can be elements that are not comparable to each other and can all be considered minimal or maximal.

5. What are some real-world examples of partially ordered sets?

Some examples of partially ordered sets include the set of all subsets of a given set, where the relation is defined by subset inclusion. Another example is the set of all positive divisors of a given number, where the relation is defined by divisibility. Additionally, the set of all events in a given probability space can also be considered a partially ordered set, where the relation is defined by probability comparison.