Dealing with Difficult Questions - Adjuster

• Thread starter Adjuster
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about dealing with a newcomer on a forum who asks questions on a topic they have little knowledge of and then raises objections to the answers given. The original poster wonders how to avoid getting into a heated argument and asks for advice. Suggestions include providing links to mainstream reading and using the Report button if necessary. It is also suggested to walk away from the conversation if it becomes unproductive.
Adjuster
Hello,

Here is a question from a newcomer to this forum, in need of advice on what best to do about a certain type of questioning. I've fouled up handling this, and would rather not repeat that mistake.

The problem begins when someone asks something on a topic which he or she appears to have little knowledge of. On receiving a reply, the original poster raises objections to the answer, based on arguments that do not agree with accepted ideas on the subject in hand. The argument continues as they proceed to ask - or demand - answers to further questions, always in line with their eccentric ideas about the subject. It seems quite difficult to avoid this sort of thing turning into a slanging match - how best to proceed?

I would be grateful for your comments.

Adjuster

Physics news on Phys.org
Adjuster said:
Hello,

Here is a question from a newcomer to this forum, in need of advice on what best to do about a certain type of questioning. I've fouled up handling this, and would rather not repeat that mistake.

The problem begins when someone asks something on a topic which he or she appears to have little knowledge of. On receiving a reply, the original poster raises objections to the answer, based on arguments that do not agree with accepted ideas on the subject in hand. The argument continues as they proceed to ask - or demand - answers to further questions, always in line with their eccentric ideas about the subject. It seems quite difficult to avoid this sort of thing turning into a slanging match - how best to proceed?

I would be grateful for your comments.

Adjuster

One thing that helps is if you can give them a link or two to further (mainstream) reading on the matter. Then it's not just you giving the answer. Also, definitely use the Report button if a thread has problems or is degrading. The mentors will take a look and see if anything should be done.

Adjuster said:
The problem begins when someone asks something on a topic which he or she appears to have little knowledge of.

You got me interested so I looked through your posting history and saw the crazy repeating key thread. When you're dealing with someone like that, just shrug it off and walk away. The guy didn't even realize that what he considered the answer had already been said by someone in prose form. That's the kind of situation where it doesn't really matter what you put down, 'cause the poster wanted someone to give him a cookie cutter solution he could run off and try.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
One thing that helps is if you can give them a link or two to further (mainstream) reading on the matter. Then it's not just you giving the answer. Also, definitely use the Report button if a thread has problems or is degrading. The mentors will take a look and see if anything should be done.

Thank you Berkemann,

I suppose that there comes a point when it's best to stop replying. There is a temptation to have the last word, - to be resisted, I guess.

Adjuster

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to handle a difficult question from an adjuster?

The best way to handle a difficult question from an adjuster is to remain calm and composed. Take a moment to pause and think before answering the question. It may also be helpful to repeat the question back to the adjuster to ensure you understand it correctly. Be honest and provide as much information as you can, but be careful not to speculate or make assumptions.

2. How should I prepare for difficult questions from an adjuster?

The key to preparing for difficult questions from an adjuster is to have a thorough understanding of the situation and all relevant information. Familiarize yourself with the details of the case and be prepared to explain any discrepancies or inconsistencies. It is also helpful to anticipate potential questions and have answers ready beforehand.

3. What should I do if I do not know the answer to a difficult question from an adjuster?

If you do not know the answer to a difficult question from an adjuster, it is important to be honest and upfront about it. It is better to admit that you do not know the answer than to provide incorrect information. You can offer to follow up with the adjuster once you have obtained the necessary information.

4. How can I effectively communicate with an adjuster during a difficult conversation?

Effective communication with an adjuster during a difficult conversation involves active listening and clear, concise responses. Pay attention to the adjuster's body language and tone of voice, and respond in a professional and respectful manner. Use simple and straightforward language to avoid any confusion or misunderstandings.

5. What steps can I take to de-escalate a tense situation with an adjuster?

In a tense situation with an adjuster, it is important to remain calm and avoid becoming defensive. Take a deep breath and try to understand the adjuster's perspective. Use positive body language, such as maintaining eye contact and using open gestures, to show that you are listening. It may also be helpful to acknowledge the adjuster's concerns and work towards finding a solution together.