Supremum and Infimum graphs

In summary, the supremum and infimum concepts are limit points of a set, and can be characterized by what neighborhood they fall in. The limit point might be difficult to determine without a graph, but trial-and-error can help.
elizaburlap
In class, we have been introduced to the supremum and infimum concepts and shown them on graphs, but I am wondering how to go about deriving them, and determining if they are part of the set, without actually having to graph them- especially for more complicated sets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you able to find "upper bound" and "lower bounds" for sets?

Some ideas:

Have you already seen limit points? If so, try showing that both the sup and the inf (when both are finite*) , are limit points of a set. Then look for a charcterization of closed sets in terms of limit points.

*This can be extended to the infinite case too, but let's start slowly.

How would you go about extending it to infinity?

In the text it has a few examples that span n from 1 to infinity.

Such as, an=n(-1)^n

I understand that it does converge, because an approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, but when the equations become more complicated, how to I recognise this without a graph?

elizaburlap said:
How would you go about extending it to infinity?

In the text it has a few examples that span n from 1 to infinity.

Such as, an=n(-1)^n

I understand that it does converge, because an approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, but when the equations become more complicated, how to I recognise this without a graph?

I actually used 'limit point' here a little too losely (specially since ∞ is not a real number); what I meant is that , in the case the sup is ∞ , the values would become indefinitely-large. In the extended reals, every 'hood (neighborhood) of ∞ would contain points of the set.

To recognize/determine the limit, I would suggest looking at the expression and trying to understand what happens with it as you approach ∞. Does it oscillate, increase, etc. If you cannot tell right away, consider trial-and-error. Assume a certain value is the Sup (Inf) , and put it to the test. That is the best I got; I cannot think of any sort of algorithm. It just seems to come down to practicing.

1. What is the definition of Supremum and Infimum in mathematics?

The Supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound for all the elements in the set, while the Infimum is the largest lower bound for all the elements in the set.

2. How are Supremum and Infimum related to graphs?

Supremum and Infimum can be visualized on a graph as the highest and lowest points, respectively, on the graph. They represent the maximum and minimum values of a function or set of data.

3. What is the significance of Supremum and Infimum in mathematical analysis?

Supremum and Infimum are important concepts in mathematical analysis because they help determine the boundaries and limits of a function or set of data. They can also be used to prove the existence of certain values within a set.

4. Can a set have both a Supremum and Infimum?

Yes, a set can have both a Supremum and Infimum if the set is bounded. If a set has a Supremum and Infimum, it is known as a complete set.

5. How do you find the Supremum and Infimum of a set or function?

To find the Supremum and Infimum of a set or function, you must first determine the upper and lower bounds of the set or function. Then, the Supremum is the smallest upper bound and the Infimum is the largest lower bound.