To pursue a PhD in NE with materials specialization

In summary, the person is an undergraduate student in nuclear engineering with a research background in materials corrosion. They are interested in pursuing a PhD in nuclear materials, but their university does not have courses in materials science for nuclear engineering students. They are worried about their background and whether they should apply for nuclear materials or thermal hydraulics. They are also interested in the work of Dr. Was, but have heard that he rarely takes international students. They are seeking advice on which university and program would be suitable for them. Some recommended universities with materials programs are Texas A&M, University of Tennessee, PennState University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Michigan, MIT, University of Florida,
victorconan
I am an undergraduate student in nuclear engineering, and I want to pursue a PhD in nuclear materials. I have research background in materials corrosion, but my undergraduate university doesn't have courses on materials science for nuclear engineering students.
I have noticed that many professors in USA employed students with materials science background. So I am worried about my background and hesitated whether I should apply for nuclear materials. Maybe I should apply for thermal hydraulics since my university has extensive courses on that, but I have no interest in it.
I am very interested in work of Dr. Was, and I have read lots of papers from his group. But someone has informed me that Dr. Was rarely takes international students. I have no idea what I should do, please help me, guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
victorconan said:
I am an undergraduate student in nuclear engineering, and I want to pursue a PhD in nuclear materials. I have research background in materials corrosion, but my undergraduate university doesn't have courses on materials science for nuclear engineering students.
I have noticed that many professors in USA employed students with materials science background. So I am worried about my background and hesitated whether I should apply for nuclear materials. Maybe I should apply for thermal hydraulics since my university has extensive courses on that, but I have no interest in it.
I am very interested in work of Dr. Was, and I have read lots of papers from his group. But someone has informed me that Dr. Was rarely takes international students. I have no idea what I should do, please help me, guys!
There are a number of nuclear engineering programs with specialties in materials, but the materials part may be through another department.

Is one interested in structural materials in irradiation environments, e.g., steels of pressure vessels, piping, tubing (heat exchangers), reactor internals, or is one interested in fuel structural materials, which experience high levels of neutron, gamma and beta radiations?

There are materials programs at Texas A&M, U. of Tennessee, PennState U., U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, U. of Michigan, MIT, U. of Florida, U. of South Carolina, U. of California - Berkeley, UCLA, just to name a few. The emphasis is different in each program based on the interests and experience of the faculty.

The relatively new area of materials is modeling and simulation using molecular dynamics. In conjuction with experiments, the objective is to develop more mechanistic models that describe the microstructural evolution of materials in their operating environment. This applies to fuel materials and core structural materials, and extends to corrosion products as well.

Astronuc said:
There are a number of nuclear engineering programs with specialties in materials, but the materials part may be through another department.

Is one interested in structural materials in irradiation environments, e.g., steels of pressure vessels, piping, tubing (heat exchangers), reactor internals, or is one interested in fuel structural materials, which experience high levels of neutron, gamma and beta radiations?

There are materials programs at Texas A&M, U. of Tennessee, PennState U., U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, U. of Michigan, MIT, U. of Florida, U. of South Carolina, U. of California - Berkeley, UCLA, just to name a few. The emphasis is different in each program based on the interests and experience of the faculty.

The relatively new area of materials is modeling and simulation using molecular dynamics. In conjuction with experiments, the objective is to develop more mechanistic models that describe the microstructural evolution of materials in their operating environment. This applies to fuel materials and core structural materials, and extends to corrosion products as well.
Thanks, astronuc

I am afraid the modeling and simulation of materials might be more suitable for students of physics. I have only learned Quantum Mechanics during undergraudate years, no Solid State Physics.

My research is about materials corrosion, stress corrosion cracking precisely. My work is about constructing coolant loops, controlling systems and loading systems. I am also doing work of data acquisition, developing a small program to collect data using Labview. I think I have a week foundation of knowledge about materials science(although I am trying to make up for this by learning materials by myself), while I have strong ability for experimental work. I do not know which university is suitable for me.

As far as I know, U of W madison, U of M Ann arbor, UIUC, and UC berkeley are doing experiments. I am afraid that these universities are TOO GOOD to me that I might have little chance to be admitted.

U. of Florida has materials programs at its materials science department, but they don't have any introduction for that. UCLA's nuclear program is only accessible to students with master degree I suppose. I know Dr. Brain Wirth at U of Tennessee is very excellent in materials simulation, but unfortunately I have no experience of molecular dynamics.

What's your suggestion considering my situation?

Kind regards

I'd highly recommend Dr. Wirth for materials. He just got several large grants and his students are top notch. He has picked up a lot of students at UTK who have their undergraduate degree in Nuclear Engineering with very little materials related course work. If you can show you're willing to learn the material and how to do RESEARCH... you'll do fine!

Most nuclear engineering schools are adding material science specialties, you can't go wrong IMO.

victorconan said:
I am afraid the modeling and simulation of materials might be more suitable for students of physics. I have only learned Quantum Mechanics during undergraudate years, no Solid State Physics.

I know Dr. Brain Wirth at U of Tennessee is very excellent in materials simulation, but unfortunately I have no experience of molecular dynamics.
One can learn modeling and simulation, in addition to learning materials characterization and experimental work. If one can do all three, then one will have unlimited opportunties.

Thermalne said:
I'd highly recommend Dr. Wirth for materials. He just got several large grants and his students are top notch. He has picked up a lot of students at UTK who have their undergraduate degree in Nuclear Engineering with very little materials related course work. If you can show you're willing to learn the material and how to do RESEARCH... you'll do fine!
I second that. I'm working with Wirth (and others) and one of his students.

Yeah, the University of Wisconsin-Madison has a great materials program for nuclear engineering graduate students. I guess I don't mean to go off topic, but I have an undergraduate gpa of 3.33 and master grad gpa of 3.5 (both in nuclear engr.). What are my chances of applying to top 10 nuclear engr. Phd programs? I was hoping to apply to MIT, Michigan, Penn state, Texas A & M and Illinois Urbana. Hoping I can get some feedback from someone.

Thermalne said:

Most nuclear engineering schools are adding material science specialties, you can't go wrong IMO.
Thanks!
Dr. Peter L Andresen appreciated Dr. Wirth's work very much, and he also mentioned Dr. Wirth when I told him about my plan to pursue a Ph.D. in USA. Several friends of mine in USA also recommend that Dr. Wirth does excellent work in nuclear materials. But I could not find his personal page on UTK website. Could you give me such a link?

Astronuc said:
One can learn modeling and simulation, in addition to learning materials characterization and experimental work. If one can do all three, then one will have unlimited opportunties.

I second that. I'm working with Wirth (and others) and one of his students.
Thanks, astronuc
Are you working on materials now or are you professor in nuclear materials?
I noticed that Dr. Wirth is now a visiting professor at UC Berkeley, and I have no idea whether he mentors students for UTK or for UC Berkeley.

victorconan said:
Thanks!
Dr. Peter L Andresen appreciated Dr. Wirth's work very much, and he also mentioned Dr. Wirth when I told him about my plan to pursue a Ph.D. in USA. Several friends of mine in USA also recommend that Dr. Wirth does excellent work in nuclear materials. But I could not find his personal page on UTK website. Could you give me such a link?

Dr. Wirth's personal page: http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/wirth.html

victorconan said:
Thanks, astronuc
Are you working on materials now or are you professor in nuclear materials?
I noticed that Dr. Wirth is now a visiting professor at UC Berkeley, and I have no idea whether he mentors students for UTK or for UC Berkeley.

He's mentoring the last round of students he had at UC Berkeley (I believe it's only one or two now) and he has nice sized group at UTK. He left UC Berkeley for UTK a few years back and had a few students that wanted to stay at UC Berkeley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thermalne said:
Dr. Wirth's personal page: http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/wirth.html

He's mentoring the last round of students he had at UC Berkeley (I believe it's only one or two now) and he has nice sized group at UTK. He left UC Berkeley for UTK a few years back and had a few students that wanted to stay at UC Berkeley.
Thanks for the information you offered!
Do you know anyone who is now at his group? The website offered limited information. I wish to know what specific research his group is now doing and find whether I am interested in his work.
Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
victorconan said:
Thanks for the information you offered!
Do you know anyone who is now at his group? The website offered limited information. I wish to know what specific research his group is now doing and find whether I am interested in his work.
Kind regards

Please check your PMs.

1. What is a PhD in NE with materials specialization?

A PhD in NE (Nanotechnology Engineering) with materials specialization is a doctoral degree program that focuses on the study and research of materials at the nanoscale level. It combines principles and techniques from engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology to design, create, and manipulate materials with unique properties and functions.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in NE with materials specialization?

There are several benefits to pursuing a PhD in NE with materials specialization. Firstly, it allows you to become an expert in a rapidly growing field with numerous career opportunities in industries such as electronics, energy, healthcare, and more. Additionally, you will gain advanced research and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with cutting-edge technologies and equipment.

3. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in NE with materials specialization?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, you will need a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in a related field such as engineering, physics, chemistry, or materials science. You may also be required to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. What are the career options after completing a PhD in NE with materials specialization?

With a PhD in NE with materials specialization, you can pursue a career in various industries such as semiconductor technology, nanofabrication, advanced materials manufacturing, or research and development. You can also work in academia as a professor or researcher, or in government agencies as a consultant or policy advisor.

5. How long does it take to complete a PhD in NE with materials specialization?

The duration of a PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This may also depend on factors such as your research topic, funding, and the time it takes to complete your dissertation. Some programs may offer accelerated options for students with a Master's degree, while others may have a longer timeframe for part-time students.