How can low energy light be detected if it's too weak to knock out an electron?

In summary: Basically they use a long wavelength light to "see" the faint signals coming from outer space. By analyzing the light waves, they can determine the distance and location of objects. Yep. Basically they use a long wavelength light to "see" the faint signals coming from outer space. By analyzing the light waves, they can determine the distance and location of objects.
Jarfi
A long wavelength light has too little energy to knock out electrons, so how do scinetists detect them? and how does a light with low energy ever cease to exist since it can never be absorbed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
A long wavelength light has too little energy to knock out electrons, so how do scinetists detect them? and how does a light with low energy ever cease to exist since it can never be absorbed?

Do you know how a radio works?

DrDu said:
Do you know how a radio works?

I have taken a look at it, but don't fully get it, something about the magnetic field of the wave pushing current..but then I just thought, to push a current is kind of like knocking out electrons, since they are jumping from their atoms.

oh but to push a current the wave needs to behave like a wave and interact with its magnetic field with the metal atoms, without collapsing, but waves interacting behave as particles? now I'm just more and more confused.

The wave accelerates the electrons in a metal due to their electric field, i.e. electric currents are induced. The electrons in a metal are not bound to any specific ions but can move freely. However the accelerated electrons can also scatter from the atomic cores and thus loose the energy they received from the electric field creating thermal motion of the atoms, i.e. heat. That's the reason for the resistance of metals.
In a radio, basically the currents induced are used to move the membrane of the loud speakers. This also diminishes the current as the energy of the currents is converted into sound waves.

DrDu said:
The wave accelerates the electrons in a metal due to their electric field, i.e. electric currents are induced. The electrons in a metal are not bound to any specific ions but can move freely. However the accelerated electrons can also scatter from the atomic cores and thus loose the energy they received from the electric field creating thermal motion of the atoms, i.e. heat. That's the reason for the resistance of metals.
In a radio, basically the currents induced are used to move the membrane of the loud speakers. This also diminishes the current as the energy of the currents is converted into sound waves.

so the interstellar telescopes are basically just giant radio-antennas who turn the information into pictures.

Jarfi said:
so the interstellar telescopes are basically just giant radio-antennas who turn the information into pictures.

Yep.

1. How is low energy light detected in the first place?

Low energy light, also known as infrared or thermal radiation, is typically detected using specialized devices called thermal detectors. These detectors are designed to measure the temperature of an object by detecting the amount of infrared radiation it emits.

2. Can low energy light be detected by the human eye?

No, the human eye is not sensitive enough to detect low energy light. Our eyes are designed to detect visible light, which has a higher energy level compared to infrared light. However, some animals such as snakes and bats have specialized organs that allow them to detect infrared radiation.

3. How does a thermal detector work?

A thermal detector works by converting infrared radiation into an electrical signal. This is typically achieved by using a material called a thermocouple, which produces a small electrical current when heated by infrared radiation. The strength of the electrical signal can then be measured to determine the intensity of the infrared light.

4. What are some common applications of low energy light detection?

Low energy light detection has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used in medical imaging, such as infrared thermography for detecting changes in body temperature. It is also used in security systems, environmental monitoring, and even in the production of consumer goods like smartphones and cameras.

5. Is there a limit to how weak low energy light can be detected?

Yes, there is a limit to how weak low energy light can be detected. This limit is determined by the sensitivity of the thermal detector being used. While advancements in technology have made it possible to detect extremely weak infrared light, there is a point at which the signal becomes too small to be accurately measured.