Does metal powder in water disperse when water is being charged?

In summary, the electric field due to the metal powder and the water will cause the powder to disperse.
kevin_tee
Does metal powder in water disperse when water is being electrically charged? I think that it might not disperse since water is also charged, the repulsion of water molecule will force it back making net repulsion equal to zero. Am I correct? Thanks for answering.

Here is the diagram that I drawn in the case that it disperse.

Attachments

• Charged liquid.png
    Charged liquid.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the picture is complete - where is the other electric pole?
Perhaps the grey wire is attached to a Van der Graaf generator?

What would be the electric field due to the wire?
Is there electrical contact between the powder and the rod - so the powder becomes charged too?
Is there electrical contact between the wire and the water?
How does water respond to an electric field?

The grey L shape rod is connect to high voltage where another other electric pole connect to the ground.
The L shape is actually a metal plate which provides charge transfer to the metal powder by contact.
The polarity of water will make water molecule align with electric field which hydrogen will be attract to negative while oxygen attract to positive, but I think that water will disperse into the air if it is charge enough.

Last edited:
OK - so you are basically pumping charges into the metal powder ... so each grain carries the same charge.
You know what like charges are going to try to do right?

There is also going to be an electric field due to the L-rod/conductor that goes through the water ... what do the water molecules do in that field? What will the metal powder grains try to do in that field?

(I have a feeling that the details of how the water acts in the field are not going to be important for your answer - depends on the context. But it is worthwhile thinking about it.)

After that you can think about how the water affects the powder grains... then work out what the forces on the grains are and how they act.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting an experiment or further research on this specific scenario. However, based on my knowledge of physics and chemistry, I can provide some insights on the potential behavior of metal powder in water when water is being electrically charged.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the dispersion of metal powder in water is influenced by various factors such as the size and shape of the particles, the concentration of the powder, and the properties of the liquid (in this case, water). When metal powder is added to water, it forms a suspension where the particles are evenly distributed throughout the liquid.

Now, when the water is being electrically charged, it will create an electric field around it. This electric field can potentially affect the behavior of the metal powder particles in the suspension. If the particles are small enough, they may become polarized and align with the electric field, causing them to disperse even more in the water. However, if the particles are larger and have a higher concentration, they may not be affected by the electric field and may remain suspended in the water.

In addition, the repulsion between water molecules and the metal powder particles may also play a role in the dispersion. As you mentioned, the repulsion between the water molecules and the metal powder particles may counteract the dispersion caused by the electric field, resulting in a net repulsion of zero. However, this would also depend on the strength of the electric field and the properties of the metal powder particles.

In conclusion, the behavior of metal powder in water when the water is being electrically charged is complex and can vary depending on various factors. Without conducting experiments or further research, it is difficult to determine whether the metal powder would disperse or not in this scenario. I hope this helps to provide some insights on the potential behavior of metal powder in water when subjected to an electric field.

1. Does metal powder in water disperse when water is being charged?

Yes, metal powder in water can disperse when the water is being charged. This is due to the movement of charged particles in the water, which can cause the powder to spread out and mix with the water.

2. What process causes metal powder to disperse in water when charged?

The process that causes metal powder to disperse in water when charged is called electrolysis. Electrolysis involves the movement of charged particles, called ions, in a solution. When an electric current is passed through the water, the ions in the metal powder are attracted to the opposite electrode, causing them to move and disperse in the water.

3. Can any type of metal powder be dispersed in water when charged?

Yes, any type of metal powder can be dispersed in water when charged. The ability of a metal powder to disperse in water depends on its solubility and the strength of its ionic bonds. Some metals, such as copper and silver, are more easily dispersed in water than others.

4. Is dispersing metal powder in water when charged a reversible process?

Yes, dispersing metal powder in water when charged is a reversible process. This means that the metal powder can be separated from the water by reversing the electric current and allowing the charged particles to settle back onto the metal powder. This process is called electrolysis reversal.

5. What are some potential applications of dispersing metal powder in water when charged?

Dispersing metal powder in water when charged has various applications in industries such as electronics, metallurgy, and battery manufacturing. It can be used to create conductive coatings, remove impurities from metal surfaces, and even generate electricity in fuel cells. It is also commonly used in scientific experiments to study the properties of metal particles in water.