Second Approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approximation
In summary, the second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1 is an estimate of the inverse of the complex number (1+i) when i is significantly smaller than 1. It is calculated using the Taylor series expansion and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. While it provides a more accurate estimate than the first approximation, it may still have limitations and may not be suitable for larger values of i.
electronic engineer
I have this algebraic term: (1+i)^-1 where i is very very small i<<<1

if we used second approximation what would it equal to?

thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can use the binomial expansion:

[tex]\frac {1}{1+i} = 1 - i + i^2 + \cdot \cdot \cdot[/tex]

so in first approximation you have 1 and in second approximation 1 - i etc.

The second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1 would be equal to 1-i. This can be obtained by using the binomial expansion for (1+i)^-1 and taking only the first two terms (1-i) and neglecting higher order terms involving i^2 or higher powers of i. So, the second approximation is a good estimate for (1+i)^-1 when i is very small.

What is the meaning of "Second Approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1"?

The second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1 refers to an estimate or calculation of the inverse of the complex number (1+i) when the imaginary part (i) is significantly smaller than 1. This approximation is commonly used in scientific and mathematical calculations.

How is the second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1 calculated?

The second approximation is calculated using the Taylor series expansion of the function (1+x)^-1, where x is the complex number (1+i). The second approximation includes the first two terms of the series, which provides a more accurate estimate than the first approximation.

Why is the second approximation used instead of the first approximation?

The second approximation provides a more accurate estimate of the inverse of (1+i) for values of i that are significantly smaller than 1. This can be useful in situations where a high level of precision is required, such as in complex mathematical calculations or scientific experiments.

What are some real-world applications of the second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1?

The second approximation is commonly used in the fields of engineering, physics, and finance. It can be used to calculate the voltage and current in electrical circuits, estimate the forces acting on a moving object, and determine the value of complex financial assets. It is also used in computer programming and software development to improve the accuracy of calculations.

Are there any limitations to using the second approximation of (1+i)^-1 for i<<<1?

While the second approximation is more accurate than the first approximation, it is still an estimate and may not be completely accurate. It is also important to note that the approximation is only valid for small values of i, and may not be suitable for larger values. In addition, the accuracy of the approximation may be affected by rounding errors and other sources of error.