Power dissipated in RLC circuit

In summary: I_rms^2*R = V_rms*Z*cos(theta) = .606*120*cos(59.7)+37 = .73 W. So the answer is both methods are correct.
fish
An RLC series circuit constists of a resistor of 100 ohm, a capacitor of 10.0uF, and an inductor of 0.250 H. The circuit is connected to a power supply of 120 V and 60 Hz. What is the power dissipated in the circuit?

I got 37 W (rounding 2 S.F's)
the solutions manual has the answer as 73 W.
Is 37 watts correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by fish
Is 37 watts correct?
Edit: I had said your answer was wrong, but I was mistaken. I believe you are correct. ( )

Last edited:
X_L= 94.25= 94 ohms
X_C= 265.26= 265 ohms
Z= 198.10 ohms=198 ohms
I_rms= V_rms/Z = 120V/198ohms = .606 A

-
P= I_rms^2(R) = .606A^2 (100 ohms) = 36.7 W

also tried this way:
tan()=(X_L-X_C)/R = (94ohm-265ohm)/100ohm = -1.71
phase angle =tan^-1(-1.71)= -59.7 degrees
-
P =V_rms^2/Z * cos ()=120V^2/198ohm (cos(-59.7))= 37 W

another way tried:
cos()=R/Z= 100ohm/198ohm= .505
-
P=I_rms*V_rms*cos()= .606A*120V*.505=37 W

I supposed I could round 37 down some and multiply by 2 since it's an average
and get the total number. Maybe question isn't asking for avg.
or maybe use a different equation like

-
P = I_rms*V_rms= I_rms^2*R (equation was in the solution manual)
= .606A*120V=73 W
but I_rms^2*R = 37 W so that doesn't make sense (not equivalent)

Sorry fish, but you were right all along. (That's what I get for trying to do things in my head.) More importantly your methods are all correct. (I'll edit my earlier post.)

Originally posted by fish
-
P = I_rms*V_rms= I_rms^2*R (equation was in the solution manual)
= .606A*120V=73 W
but I_rms^2*R = 37 W so that doesn't make sense (not equivalent)
That equation in the book is wrong; P = I_rms*V_rms*cosθ (they left out the phase factor).

What is a RLC circuit and how does it work?

A RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) components. It works by passing an alternating current (AC) through the circuit, causing the inductor and capacitor to store and release energy, while the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat.

What is power dissipation in a RLC circuit?

Power dissipation in a RLC circuit refers to the amount of energy that is converted to heat and lost within the circuit. This occurs due to the resistance of the components, which causes a voltage drop and generates heat.

How is power dissipation calculated in a RLC circuit?

The power dissipated in a RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula P=I^2R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula takes into account the current passing through the circuit and the resistance of the components.

What factors affect power dissipation in a RLC circuit?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a RLC circuit are the resistance of the components, the frequency of the AC current, and the quality factor (Q) of the circuit. Higher resistance and frequency result in higher power dissipation, while a higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit with lower power dissipation.

Can power dissipation be reduced in a RLC circuit?

Power dissipation in a RLC circuit can be reduced by using components with lower resistance, choosing a lower frequency for the AC current, and increasing the Q value of the circuit. Additionally, using more efficient materials and designs can also help to reduce power dissipation in a RLC circuit.