Power Series Diff. Eq.

In summary, in order to transform [Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^(n+1) into ([Sum n=1, to infinity]C(sub-n-1)*x^(n), you can use a different letter for the index and replace n with n-1 in the summation. This will make it easier to write the series as an elementary function by integrating the ODE.
kahless2005
Given:
y'+2xy=0
Find:
Write sereis as an elementary function

My solution so far:
y=[Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^n
y'=[Sum n=1, to infinity]n*C(sub-n)*x^(n-1)

y' can be transformed into:
=[Sum n=0, to infinity](n+1)*C(sub-n+1)*x^n

([Sum n=0, to infinity](n+1)*C(sub-n+1)*x^n) + 2x([Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^n)=0

([Sum n=0, to infinity](n+1)*C(sub-n+1)*x^n) +2([Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^(n+1))=0

My question:
Can I transform [Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^(n+1) into ([Sum n=1, to infinity]C(sub-n-1)*x^(n)?

If so, then y(x)=([Sum n=,0. to infinity]((-1)^(n+1)*C(sub-o)*x^(n+1)*2^(n-1))/n!

How do I transform that into an elementary function?

Sorry about the ugly typing...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you simply integrate the ODE and then write the series expansion for the solution...?

Daniel.

kathless2005 said:
My question:
Can I transform [Sum n=0, to infinity]C(sub-n)*x^(n+1) into ([Sum n=1, to infinity]C(sub-n-1)*x^(n)?
In other words:
Can you change
[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^\infty C_n x^{n+1}[/tex]
to
[tex]\Sigma_{n=1}^\infty C_{n-1}x^n[/tex]

I think you will find it easier to use a different letter for the index:
Let j= n+1. Then n= j-1 so Cn becomes Cj and xn+1 becomes xj[/sub]. Of course when n= 0, j= 1 so
[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^\infty C_n x^{n+1}[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\Sigma_{j=1}^\infty C_{j-1} x^j[/tex]
and since j is just a dummy index, you can certainly replace it with n.

1. What is a power series differential equation?

A power series differential equation is a type of differential equation where the unknown function is expressed as a power series. This means that the function is represented as an infinite sum of terms with increasing powers of the independent variable.

2. How are power series differential equations solved?

Power series differential equations are usually solved by assuming a solution in the form of a power series and then using this assumption to find coefficients that satisfy the equation. The solution can then be obtained by substituting these coefficients into the power series.

3. What are some applications of power series differential equations?

Power series differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model physical processes. They can also be used to approximate functions and solve boundary value problems.

4. What is the radius of convergence for a power series differential equation?

The radius of convergence for a power series differential equation is the maximum distance from the center of the power series where the series converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

5. Are there any limitations to using power series to solve differential equations?

While power series are useful for solving many types of differential equations, they may not always provide an exact solution. In some cases, a power series solution may only be an approximation or a solution valid for a limited range of values. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be affected by the presence of singular points or other special cases.