Fluid Mechanics question (shear stress)

In summary: It's just easier to interpret results in terms of the smaller cylinder.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a graph showing the velocity distribution between two cylinders, as well as questions about the equations and values used. The solution explains that ln (1/x) can also be written as -ln x and that the radial dimension has been normalized to b. It also clarifies that the ratio of a/b=0.8 was picked as an example and that using r/b is a better choice for interpreting results.
teknodude
The problem and solutions is here

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6093/problem1rm4.th.png

Isn't the shear stress for both the inner and outer negative? When i take the derivative i get negative. The derivative is basically ln ( 1/x) since the rest are just constants.

Edit: I meant that the expression looks similar to ln (1/x).

Also I am clueless to how they got the values for that the velocity destribution graph. They picked a/b = 0.8 and i believe the # has to be less than 1 or the Vz equation is undefined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remeber ln (1/x) = ln (x-1) = - ln x or

ln (a/b) = -ln (b/a).

Also, if one opens a spreadsheet, enters x = 0.8 . . . 1.0, by .01, and then plots 1/x vs x, one will see that it looks almost straight.

The solution indicates that the plot is almost linear. The radial dimension has been normalized to b, by using r/b for the abscissa.

thanks Astronuc, but i still got a few questions.

Why did they do a/b? Is it because the problem wants to know the ratio of velocity distribution between the two cylinders?

Also where did r/b come from? The only way i see it is that they substituted ln (b/r) with -ln (r/b), but why?

Either I'm very tired and can't think, or this solution has a serious problem with negative signes everywhere.

A ratio of a/b=0.8 was picked just as an example for a gap.

Using r/b is just a better choice when it comes to interpreting results. When the ratio is 0.8, you're at the inner cylinder (since the smaller cylinder is defined as a/b=0.8), when it's 1, you're at the outer.

Last edited:

1. What is shear stress in fluid mechanics?

Shear stress in fluid mechanics is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the surface of a fluid. It is a measure of the resistance to flow and is caused by the friction between adjacent layers of fluid.

2. How is shear stress calculated in fluid mechanics?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface of the fluid by the area over which the force is applied. It is represented by the Greek letter tau (τ) and has units of force per unit area (such as N/m^2 or Pa).

3. What is the relationship between shear stress and viscosity?

Shear stress and viscosity have a direct relationship in fluid mechanics. Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and a higher viscosity will result in a higher shear stress. This means that thicker fluids, such as honey, will have a higher shear stress compared to thinner fluids, such as water.

4. How does shear stress affect fluid flow?

Shear stress plays a critical role in determining the behavior of fluid flow. In laminar flow, where the fluid flows in smooth layers, shear stress is directly proportional to the velocity gradient and can cause the fluid to flow more slowly. In turbulent flow, where the fluid flows in irregular patterns, shear stress can cause mixing and increase the overall flow rate.

5. What are some real-world applications of shear stress in fluid mechanics?

Shear stress is an important concept in many areas of engineering and science. It is used in the design of pipes and channels for fluid transport, the study of blood flow in the human body, and the analysis of ocean currents. It is also crucial in fields such as aerodynamics, where understanding the effects of shear stress on air flow is essential for designing efficient vehicles and structures.