Golf ball problem (velocity, max height, hang time)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a golf ball and finding its velocity, maximum height, hang time, and velocity at a specific time. The formula for displacement is suggested as a useful tool for solving the problem.
aquaorange
"golf ball problem" (velocity, max height, hang time)

Okay. I'm having a really hard time with this. I know how to start the problem, but after that I go nuts, and literally start pulling out my hair. There is no book I can look in for reference, as this part is teacher supplemented.

The given picture/information is this:

physics-question.jpg

And I need to find:

velocity of x at zero time:
velocity of y at zero time:
maximum height (from ground, not cliff):
hang time:
velocity of x after "a" time:
velocity of y after "a" time:

Now, I can find Vx at zero (20m/s), and Vy at zero (34.6m/s). I also know that Vx at any time is going to remain the same (20m/s), but then I'm lost for maximum height, hang time, and Vy at "a" time. Gravity is taken into account, but not air resistance. I know that it loses -9.8m/s going up due to gravity, and +9.8m/s going down due to gravity. And I tried doing that a long way, subtracting 9.8 from 34.6, subtracting 9.8 form that answer, etc., and counting how many times to get a seconds number, but then I didn't know how to figure out when I got down to 5.2 and subtracting 9.8 from that. I really have no clue how far up it goes, or how to find anything past making the triangle to find the forces using sine/cosine/tangent.

I'm not sure if there is a formula or multiple formulas to figure this information out. That's what I think I'm missing to get the rest of the information.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula which will be of great use to you is the displacement formula. For the x direction, you have [tex]x(t) = x_{0} + v_{0x}t[/tex], and, for the y direction, [tex]y(t) = y_{0} + v_{0y}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]. You should be able to solve the problem now.

Hello, it seems like you are struggling with the golf ball problem. Don't worry, there are a few formulas that can help you solve this problem. First, let's start with the basics: the velocity of the golf ball at any given time can be calculated using the formula V=V0+at, where V0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (in this case, due to gravity), and t is the time. As you mentioned, Vx remains constant at 20m/s, so we can use this formula to find the velocity of y at any time. For example, at time "a", we can use the formula Vy=Vy0+at, where Vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction (34.6m/s) and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s^2). This will give us the velocity of the ball at any given time.

To find the maximum height, we can use the formula h=Vy0^2/2a, where h is the maximum height, Vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This will give us the height at which the ball reaches before falling back down.

To find the hang time, we can use the formula t=2Vy0/a, where t is the hang time, Vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This will tell us how long the ball stays in the air before hitting the ground.

I hope these formulas will help you solve the problem. Remember to always double check your units and plug in the correct values. Good luck!

1. What is the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball varies depending on the club used and the strength of the swing. On average, the initial velocity can range from 100-170 miles per hour.

2. How high does a golf ball go after being hit?

The maximum height a golf ball can reach also varies, but on average, it can go up to 100 feet in the air.

3. How long does a golf ball stay in the air?

The hang time of a golf ball also depends on the initial velocity and the angle at which it was hit. On average, a golf ball can stay in the air for 4-6 seconds.

4. What factors affect the velocity of a golf ball?

The velocity of a golf ball can be affected by factors such as the club used, the strength of the swing, the air resistance, and the surface on which the ball is being hit.

5. How can I calculate the velocity, max height, and hang time of a golf ball?

To calculate the velocity, max height, and hang time of a golf ball, you can use the formulas of projectile motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or specialized technology such as launch monitors to measure these variables accurately.