Uses of Shoulder Bolts: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter araanandv2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolts
In summary: They would do well as spacers between a heat sink and its mounting surface.In summary, the shoulder screw is used to clamp a joint together. It is not used in place of an Allen screw, because it would not hold the joint together.
araanandv2
Hi,

Can you please explain where shoulder bolts are used?
Specific application?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here are a few applications that come to mind:

- A joint in which the bolts are required to carry a large portion of the shear loads.

- A joint that requires relative motion between the two parts. One part will have a slot while the other the tapped hole (the slot surrounds the shoulder section).

- Any time a part requires a spring, a shoulder bolt can be used as a guide. The absence of threads makes a nice guide that will not bind up the spring, i.e. stamping dies.

- Along the lines of the shear carrying, clevis pins are usually shoulder bolts.

- You can use a shoulder bolt as a kind of axle. Think of mounting guide wheels on a sliding drawer or a rotating arm.

- Mounting bearings so as to allow rotation.

Sholuder screw

Thank you.
I have attached an image.
Can you please explain why shoulder screw is used in this application?
why an allen screw is not used?

Attachments

• Shoulder screw.jpg
    Shoulder screw.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,902
It's impossible to tell you that without knowing the function of what it is you are showing us. I will tell you that an allen screw would not clamp any joint together. How would this joint maintain any kind of load with a set screw in it?

araanandv2 said:
Thank you.
I have attached an image.
Can you please explain why shoulder screw is used in this application?
why an allen screw is not used?

Is something missing here? There is an area adjacent to the shoulder which is unlabeled. Is that simply clearance (in which case it makes no sense), or is it a bushing of some kind? In either event, the washer is not doing much to transfer the load. Clearly no rotation is meant and, so, the whole purpose might be precise location. If that is the case, why not a reamed hole.

What is this thing?

Oh, wait a minute. Are these pieces insulators? Something like G10?

What are shoulder bolts and what are they used for?

Shoulder bolts are a type of fastener that have a cylindrical section, called the shoulder, between the head and the threaded portion. The shoulder allows for rotational movement and can act as a bearing surface. They are commonly used in applications that require precise alignment and smooth movement, such as in machinery and equipment assembly.

What are the different types of shoulder bolts?

There are two main types of shoulder bolts: plain and shoulder screws. Plain shoulder bolts have a smooth cylindrical shoulder and are typically used as a pivot or bearing surface. Shoulder screws have a knurled or hexagonal shoulder and are used for attaching other components with the help of a nut or threading into a tapped hole.

What materials are shoulder bolts made of?

Shoulder bolts can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, stainless steel, brass, and aluminum. The material chosen depends on the specific application and the required strength and corrosion resistance.

How do I choose the right size shoulder bolt for my application?

The size of a shoulder bolt is determined by its diameter, thread pitch, and length. Factors to consider when choosing the right size include the load it will bear, the required strength, and the size and type of mating components. It is important to consult a sizing chart or an engineer to ensure the correct size is selected.

What are some common uses of shoulder bolts?

Shoulder bolts have a wide range of uses in various industries and applications. They are commonly used in machinery and equipment assembly, automotive manufacturing, aerospace engineering, and furniture construction. Some specific uses include attaching pulleys, gears, and sprockets, as well as acting as a pivot point or bearing surface in moving parts.