Endoscopic Throat Exam: Experiences & Info

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary: It must have been painful, i would not have thought they could get a stone out that way.The pain was manageable, but I was pretty nauseated the whole time.The pain was manageable, but I was pretty nauseated the whole time.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone had this done to them? it sounds horrible even more so to a person that hates hospitals

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a gastroscopy, wolram? I have, and there's nothing to it. They sprayed my throat to make it numb, gave me an injection of Valium and something else, I nodded out for the majority of the procedure, and woke in a room where the hospital staff let me sleep it off. I didn't experience a sore throat or anything.

Some people -- such as my father -- remain awake regardless of the meds, but he was so calmed by the medication, he really didn't mind or care. I think he even got to watch a bit of what they were doing on the monitor.

It's not even a day-surgery thing. It's in and out in a few hours; just have someone to pick you up and cart you home.

Last edited:
Just make sure there's a woman present during the entire procedure...:biggrin:

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
Do you mean a gastroscopy, wolram? I have, and there's nothing to it. They sprayed my throat to make it numb, gave me an injection of Valium and something else, I nodded out for the majority of the procedure, and woke in a room where the hospital staff let me sleep it off. I didn't experience a sore throat or anything.

Some people -- such as my father -- remain awake regardless of the meds, but he was so calmed by the medication, he really didn't mind or care. I think he even got to watch a bit of what they were doing on the monitor.

It's not even a day-surgery thing. It's in and out in a few hours; just have someone to pick you up and cart you home.

I am glad about that, i was very reluctant to accept.

DaveC426913 said:
Just make sure there's a woman present during the entire prodecure...:biggrin:

Strange but nurses seem to gather around me.

An endoscopy? I've never had one but in the next little while I have to go observe one :) I've heard its not to bad.

I've been scoped from both ends during a single session, Woolie. (Hopefully with different equipment!):yuck: It's not unusual.

turbo-1 said:
I've been scoped from both ends during a single session, Woolie. (Hopefully with different equipment!):yuck: It's not unusual.

But what happens if you want to cough or some thing, i remember when they pulled a tube out of my nose that went deep down some where, that was horrible.

It's way, way easier than the tube down the nose.

wolram said:
But what happens if you want to cough or some thing, i remember when they pulled a tube out of my nose that went deep down some where, that was horrible.
Yep! I had one of those nose-cams running when the doctor did not sufficiently appreciate my heart-felt description of my gag-reflex. He was sorry, and it wasn't my fault. Too bad for him.

Well thanks guys, i feel a bit easier about it now, i suppose i should put my self on the waiting list, i might even be better before they get to me.

I haven't had a gastroscope inserted, but my demographic demands a colonoscopy every once in a while. I'd gladly trade places with you.

Danger said:
I haven't had a gastroscope inserted, but my demographic demands a colonoscopy every once in a while. I'd gladly trade places with you.

It makes me feel ill just looking at words like that, having to go to a hospital
(even visiting) makes me feel ill, in all my years i have only just found a doctor i trust.

It's a common fear, Woolie... nothing to be embarrassed about. People naturally feel a bit helpless when they relenquish control of their bodies to someone else. If you're a good boy and do what the nice doctor says, they might give you a lolly afterward.

For some reason, my doctor hasn't yet felt the need. I thought it was common practice as of 40 and even asked him about it but he said no. And here I even went to the trouble to wear my best party nickers to my appointment...

Don't worry, it's coming at age 50 along with "offers" from AARP every couple of months.

I had a kidney stone removed from my ureter without cutting. 'nuff said?

jimmysnyder said:
I had a kidney stone removed from my ureter without cutting. 'nuff said?

That must have been painful, i would not have thought they could get a stone out that way.

1. What is an endoscopic throat exam?

An endoscopic throat exam is a procedure in which a thin, flexible tube with a light and camera attached (called an endoscope) is inserted through the nose or mouth to examine the throat, vocal cords, and other structures in the upper airway. It is commonly used to diagnose and treat various conditions such as throat infections, vocal cord disorders, and tumors.

2. Is the procedure painful?

Most patients do not experience pain during an endoscopic throat exam. The endoscope is very thin and typically does not cause discomfort. However, some patients may feel slight pressure or discomfort as the endoscope is inserted. If you experience any pain during the procedure, let your doctor know so they can make adjustments.

3. How long does an endoscopic throat exam take?

The length of the procedure can vary depending on the reason for the exam and the individual patient. On average, an endoscopic throat exam takes about 5 to 10 minutes. However, if a biopsy or other treatment is needed, it may take longer.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with an endoscopic throat exam?

Like any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects associated with an endoscopic throat exam. These include a sore throat, mild bleeding, and a small risk of infection. In rare cases, there may be more serious complications such as a puncture in the throat or damage to the vocal cords. However, these risks are minimal and your doctor will take precautions to minimize them.

5. How should I prepare for an endoscopic throat exam?

Your doctor will provide specific instructions on how to prepare for the exam, as it may vary depending on the individual patient. In general, you may be asked to avoid eating or drinking for a certain period of time before the procedure. You may also be asked to stop taking certain medications, particularly blood thinners. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions carefully to ensure a successful and safe procedure.