Power Series Solution to a Diff EQ

In summary, In this problem, the Power series solution to a Diff EQ can be found by differentiating the equation with respect to x and solving for the first five nonzero terms.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] !Power Series Solution to a Diff EQ!

Homework Statement

Find the first 5 term of a Power series solution of

[tex]y'+2xy=0[/tex] (1)

Missed this class, so please bear with my attempt here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that y takes the form

[tex]y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_nx^n[/tex]

Then (1) can be written:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nc_nx^{n-1}+2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_nx^n=0[/tex]

Re-written 'in phase' and with the same indices (in terms of k):

[tex]c_1+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(k+1)c_{k+1}x^k+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2c_{k-1}x^k=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow c_1+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}[(k+1)c_{k+1}+2c_{k-1}]x^k=0[/tex]

Now invoking the identity property, I can say that all coefficients of powers of x are equal to zero (including [itex]c_1*x^0[/itex])

So I can write:

[itex]c_1=0[/itex] and

[tex]c_{k+1}=-\frac{2c_{k-1}}{k+1}[/tex]Now I am stuck (I know I am almost there though!)

Should I just start plugging in numbers for k=1,2,3,4,5 ? Will this generate enough 'recursiveness' to solve for the 1st five terms?

Is that the correct approach?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry guys, I got it. And for those who might make future use of this thread, my approach was correct. Solving

[tex]
c_{k+1}=-\frac{2c_{k-1}}{k+1}[/tex]

For k=1,2...,9 generates enough coefficients to write out the first five nonzero terms of the solution by plugging them back into

[tex]
y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_nx^n[/tex]

Last edited:
I think you need one more initial condition on your series (example [itex] y(0)=x_0[/itex]). You need to define [itex] c_0[/itex] (or you can just leave [itex] c_0 [/itex] as the 'integration' constant of the ODE). However, the recursion formula becomes pretty obvious once you have that. If you can't see it right away, try plugging in a few values. Since [itex] c_1=0[/itex] what can we say about all the odd labelled coefficients? You should get something that looks like the series of an exponential function. In fact, the series will have a closed form solution if you can see how your answer relates to the exponential series.

1. What is a power series solution to a differential equation?

A power series solution to a differential equation is a method of solving a differential equation by expressing the solution as a series of powers of the independent variable. This method is useful for solving linear differential equations with variable coefficients.

2. How is a power series solution different from other methods of solving differential equations?

A power series solution is different from other methods because it allows for a general solution to be obtained rather than a specific solution for a given initial condition. It also does not require knowledge of the exact form of the solution, making it useful for solving more complex differential equations.

3. What are the steps for finding a power series solution to a differential equation?

The steps for finding a power series solution to a differential equation are: 1) Assume the solution can be expressed as a power series; 2) Find the coefficients of the series by substituting the series into the differential equation; 3) Determine the radius of convergence for the series; 4) Use the initial conditions to find the values of the coefficients; 5) Sum the series to obtain the general solution.

4. What types of differential equations can be solved using a power series solution?

A power series solution can be used to solve linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It is also useful for solving nonlinear differential equations, but the process can be more complex and may require the use of more advanced techniques.

5. What are the advantages of using a power series solution to solve a differential equation?

There are several advantages to using a power series solution to solve a differential equation. It allows for a general solution to be obtained, rather than just a specific solution for a given initial condition. It also does not require knowledge of the exact form of the solution, making it useful for solving more complex differential equations. Additionally, it can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including those with variable coefficients and nonlinear equations.