Laurent Series and Partial Fractions: Exam Help Requested

In summary, the conversation is about a specific example in a Boas section on Laurent series. The problem involves finding the Laurent series for a given function with three singular points at z=0, z=2, and z=-1. The speaker is confused about the use of z, 1/z, and a combination of both in the different regions and how to determine which corresponds to which solution. They are seeking quick responses as they have an exam tomorrow.
FiberOptix
Hello all,

I've got an exam tomorrow so any quick responses would be appreciated. I'm following the Boas section on Laurent series... Anyway, here's my problem:

In an example Boas starts with f(z) = 12/(z(2-z)(1+z), and then using partial fractions arrives at f(z) = (4/z)(1/(1+z) + (1/2-z)). Fine. So there are three singular points, at z = 0, z = 2, and z = -1. So, we have two circles about z = 0 and should be able to obtain three Laurent series, one valid for 0 < |z| < 1, 1 < |z| < 2, and |z| > 2. I'll skip the details of the rest of this example but she expands the partial fraction in terms of z to obtain f(z) for 0 < |z| < 1, then proceeds to expand in terms of 1/z to obtain f(z) for |z| > 2 and then one of the partial fractions in terms of z and the other one in terms of 1/z to obtain f(z) for 1 < |z| < 2.

I'm a bit confused as to why z, 1/z, and then a combination and also how you know which will correspond to which solution for f(z).

As I said, the exam is tomorrow so any quick responses would be helpful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so I now understand it's because of the convergence in particular regions but I'm still not 100% on this.

What are Laurent Series and Partial Fractions?

Laurent Series and Partial Fractions are mathematical techniques used in calculus to represent a function as a sum of simpler functions. Laurent Series are used for functions with poles (singularities) while Partial Fractions are used for rational functions.

When are Laurent Series and Partial Fractions used?

Laurent Series and Partial Fractions are used when working with functions that have singularities or poles. They are also useful in integration and solving differential equations.

How do you find the Laurent Series of a function?

To find the Laurent Series of a function, you first need to find the singularities of the function. Then, using the Taylor Series expansion, you can express the function as a sum of terms with decreasing powers of the variable. The coefficients of these terms can be found using the Residue Theorem.

What is the difference between a Laurent Series and a Taylor Series?

The main difference between a Laurent Series and a Taylor Series is that Laurent Series can have negative powers of the variable, while Taylor Series only have positive powers. Laurent Series are also used for functions with singularities, while Taylor Series are used for smooth functions.

How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function, you first need to factor the denominator into linear and quadratic factors. Then, using the method of partial fractions, you can express the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with these factors as denominators. The coefficients can be found by comparing the coefficients of the terms on both sides of the equation.