Finding the Unit Tangent Vector for a Given Curve

In summary, the problem was trying to solve for the unit tangent vector at the point t=0 of a curve that has the following equation: -1t^2+2, -3e^5t, -5sin(-4t)
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Let bar r(t) = < -1t^(2)+2, -3e^(5t), -5sin(-4t) >

Find the unit tangent vector `bar T(t)` at the point `t=0`

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:

r(t) = -1t^2 + 2, -3e^5t, -5sin(-4t)

v(t) = -2t, -3e^5t, -5cos(-4t)*-4

T(t) = (-2t - 3e^(5t) - 5cos(-4t)*-4)/sqrt(-2t^2 - (3e(5t))^2 - (5cos(-4t)*-4)^2)

=

(0 - 4 + 20)/sqrt(0 - 9 - 400)

T(0) = <0, -4/3, 20/20.2237>

Actual Solution:

`bar T(t) = < 0,-0.6,0.8 >`

Sorry about all these questions but these unit tangent vectors have got me stumped...

Physics news on Phys.org
the7joker7 said:

Homework Statement

Let bar r(t) = < -1t^(2)+2, -3e^(5t), -5sin(-4t) >

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:

r(t) = -1t^2 + 2, -3e^5t, -5sin(-4t)

v(t) = -2t, -3e^5t, -5cos(-4t)*-4
Here is you first two errors-you didn't use the chain rule. The derivative of et is et but the derivative of e5t is NOT e5t. Use the chain rule. Same for sin(4t).

T(t) = (-2t - 3e^(5t) - 5cos(-4t)*-4)/sqrt(-2t^2 - (3e(5t))^2 - (5cos(-4t)*-4)^2)

=

(0 - 4 + 20)/sqrt(0 - 9 - 400)
Once you have found the derivative, v(t), I would recommend setting t= 0 immediately, then find its length.

T(0) = <0, -4/3, 20/20.2237>

Actual Solution:

`bar T(t) = < 0,-0.6,0.8 >`

Sorry about all these questions but these unit tangent vectors have got me stumped...
You are differentiating incorrectly. Use the chain rule!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm forgetting some of my basic derivative stuff, but...

(-3ln(e)*e^(5t)*5),

Is that right for the second?

And the third should be...

-5*cos(-4*t)*(-4)

Correct?

Last edited:
Well, that produced the right answer, so I tried to copy it for a similar problem...

`bar r(t) = < -1t^(2)+4, -2e^(1t), 3sin(-1t) >`

v(t) = (-2t), (-2ln(e)*e^(t)),( 3cos(-t)*-1)>

v(0) = <0 - 2 - 3>

mag = 3.61

It isn't right though. :/ dammit.

the7joker7 said:
Well, that produced the right answer, so I tried to copy it for a similar problem...

`bar r(t) = < -1t^(2)+4, -2e^(1t), 3sin(-1t) >`

v(t) = (-2t), (-2ln(e)*e^(t)),( 3cos(-t)*-1)>

v(0) = <0 - 2 - 3>

mag = 3.61

It isn't right though. :/ dammit.
First. ln(e)= 1. that should simplify your work!

The derivative of <-t2+ 4, -2et], 3sin(-t)> is indeed <-2t, -2et, -3 cos(t)> and at t= 0, that is <0, -2, -3> which has length [itex]\sqrt{13}[/itex] or approximately 3.605. What, exactly, was the original problem?

Let `bar r(t) = < -1t^(2)+4, -2e^(1t), 3sin(-1t) >`

The the correct answer is [itex]<0, -2/\sqrt{13}, -3/\sqrt{13}>[/itex]. What makes you say that "isn't right"?

Nevermind, it was the right answer, it just didn't want me to round.

Thanks.

What is the unit tangent vector problem?

The unit tangent vector problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding a vector that is tangent to a curve and has a magnitude of 1. It is often used in calculus and physics to describe the direction and rate of change of a moving object.

Why is the unit tangent vector important?

The unit tangent vector is important because it represents the direction in which a curve is moving at a specific point. It can also be used to calculate the curvature of a curve and determine the rate of change of a moving object.

How do you find the unit tangent vector?

To find the unit tangent vector, you first need to find the derivative of the curve at a specific point. Then, divide the derivative by its magnitude to get the unit tangent vector. Alternatively, you can use the arc-length parameterization method to find the unit tangent vector.

What is the difference between a unit tangent vector and a regular tangent vector?

A unit tangent vector has a magnitude of 1, while a regular tangent vector does not have a fixed magnitude. The unit tangent vector represents the direction of a curve, while the regular tangent vector represents the slope of a curve at a specific point.

How is the unit tangent vector used in physics?

In physics, the unit tangent vector is used to describe the direction and rate of change of a moving object. It can also be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, as well as the force and torque acting on the object.