Change of variables in double integrals

In summary: Overall, the arrows help to determine the direction and bounds for integration in change of variables problems.In summary, in change of variables problems, the arrows serve to indicate the direction of integration and help determine the lower and upper bounds for integration. The direction of integration is usually indicated by the direction of the arrows, and the lower and upper bounds are determined by the endpoints of the curve or the equation of the curve. These arrows are important in evaluating regions that cannot be evaluated as type I or type II double integrals.
GS416492
I am having a problem with change of variables problems in GENERAL. What I don't understand at this point is how one determines what the lower and upper bounds are in terms of the transformation variables. That is, if you have some weird shaped region that can't be evaluated as either a type I or type II double integral. However, you'd still want to make sure to integrate from lower values of X to higher values of X right? How do you figure that out (by the way, I do realize that many textbooks draw arrows on the curves that make up the regions of integration. I have no idea what purpose these arrows serve.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The arrows serve to indicate the direction of integration. In a double integral, you need to decide which variable you will integrate with first. This is usually indicated by the arrows. For example, if the arrows point in the positive direction of the x-axis, then you are integrating with respect to x first. The lower and upper bounds for x are determined by the endpoints of the curve. If the curve is a line segment, then the lower and upper bounds would be the x-coordinates of the endpoints. If the curve is an arc, then the lower and upper bounds can be determined by the endpoints of the arc or by the equation of the curve.

1. What is the purpose of changing variables in double integrals?

Changing variables in double integrals allows us to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve. It also allows us to integrate over more complicated regions.

2. How do you determine the new limits of integration after changing variables?

The new limits of integration can be determined by using the transformation equations and substituting them into the original limits of integration.

3. Can any variable substitution be used in double integrals?

No, the variable substitution must be a one-to-one transformation in order to preserve the area and maintain the integrity of the integral.

4. What is the relationship between the Jacobian determinant and changing variables in double integrals?

The Jacobian determinant is used to calculate the scaling factor of the integral when changing variables. It is necessary to include in the integration process in order to properly account for the change in variables.

5. Are there any special cases where changing variables in double integrals is particularly useful?

Yes, changing variables can be particularly useful when dealing with polar coordinates or when integrating over non-rectangular regions, such as circular or triangular regions.