What are the effects of tanning

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Effects
In summary: But don't tell anyone, I'd hate to give away my beauty secrets. :uhh:Stay out of the sun! But I see you are already doing that :smile:
mcknia07
What are the effects of tanning, like from a tanning bed/natural sun, compared to the effects on the skin from a "tan in a bottle" product?

I am about as pale as they come, but some of my friends do the "fake" tan things, and I try to tell them its bad for their skin, but I don't know how or what exactly it does. Can anyone help me to know, and plus I want to know for myself too. I have always been too scared to tan, or get too much sun exposure without protection. I have done the "tan in a bottle" products before, but they leave me looking a little on the orange side with a funky smell, so I have stopped that.

I also would like to know if there is a safe/healthy way to get a tan or look tan? Or should I just be ok with being pale and looking really young for a long time? :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org

mcknia07 said:
What are the effects of tanning, like from a tanning bed/natural sun, compared to the effects on the skin from a "tan in a bottle" product?

I am about as pale as they come, but some of my friends do the "fake" tan things, and I try to tell them its bad for their skin, but I don't know how or what exactly it does. Can anyone help me to know, and plus I want to know for myself too. I have always been too scared to tan, or get too much sun exposure without protection. I have done the "tan in a bottle" products before, but they leave me looking a little on the orange side with a funky smell, so I have stopped that.

I also would like to know if there is a safe/healthy way to get a tan or look tan? Or should I just be ok with being pale and looking really young for a long time? :biggrin:
The "tan in a bottle" does not harm the skin like the sun. I use a "tan in a bottle" sometimes, it's just a dye that stains the skin. I found one that looks natural and doesn't smell, but it's expensive.

Evo said:
The "tan in a bottle" does not harm the skin like the sun. I use a "tan in a bottle" sometimes, it's just a dye that stains the skin. I found one that looks natural and doesn't smell, but it's expensive.

What kinda did you find that works good? and how much does it cost, roughly?

mcknia07 said:
What kinda did you find that works good? and how much does it cost, roughly?
It's Bare Escentuals "Faux Tan". With the rock blush and S&H it was about $50 for a 16 ounce bottle. You can probably find just the Faux Tan by itself. They have a store at the nearby (to me) mall now or you can get it through QVC if they don't have a store near you. It's a special QVC had. Online at Bare Escentuals a 4.5 ounce bottle is $22. I love their products.

It goes on dark brown and has a very light almond scent which disappears quickly. I mainly bought it because it doesn't stink like those other tanning lotions. This is light, non-greasy, a gel that's like applying water, it absorbs quickly and you'd never know you have anything on.

But don't tell anyone, I'd hate to give away my beauty secrets. :uhh:

Thanks Evo. I saw that on QVC and thought about getting it, but I wasn't sure if it actually worked. Now I think I might get it :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Thanks Evo. I saw that on QVC and thought about getting it, but I wasn't sure if it actually worked. Now I think I might get it :biggrin:
I love QVC.

Me too, it's great :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Stay out of the sun! But I see you are already doing that :smile: There are these new cream lotions on the market today with very low amounts of tanning reagents in them, in that way you can built up a tan over many applications, giving it a natural effect.

I have a really pale skin as well, and prefer to stay out of the sun or wear good sunscreen protection. I have some of these low-dose tanning day creams standing on my cupboard, but haven't really used it. I'll see if they're still good and give it another go.

With regard to the fake tan stuff, my friend looked beautifully tan for her wedding...turns out the person who did her make-up coated all the visible skin with a bronzer (I found out the next morning when I bumped into her at breakfast and she was talking about trying to figure out why brown stuff was running off her in the shower until she remembered the bronzer :rofl:). I'm content to be pasty-pale.

As for what tanning does, aside from the obvious skin cancer risk, WRINKLES! All the people I know who were sun worshippers (or even just really outdoorsy people without wearing a lot of sunscreen) in their teens and 20s now have really leathery, wrinkly looking skin in their late 30s and 40s, even those with naturally darker skin who just didn't think about sunscreen because they didn't burn in the sun. They look 20 years older than they really are.

Moonbear said:
I'm content to be pasty-pale.
The comments from other people can sometimes be annoying. One tops the list: "I already thought you were vegetarian when I met you, vegetarians always look pale" :rolleyes: At least I've found the perfect mate to create offspring with a tanned complexion :smile:
They look 20 years older than they really are.
Yeah, I really don't understand people who feel good about tanning non-stop. Wrinkles and skin cancer, that doesn't really advertise it for me.

My younger daughter is always saying, "mommy, you really do not realize how much younger you look than my friend's moms, they're all wrinkled and their skin is leathery and they're much younger than you".

That's because I was smart enough to stay out of the sun. Something I can't seem to get through to her enough so that she'll start using a higher SPF. <exasperated sigh>

Good lord, stop telling people to stay out of the sun! No wonder we're a continent of fat slugs!

Get plenty of fresh air, sunshine and exercise, just be diligent with the SPF.

Likes Irol

DaveC426913 said:
Good lord, stop telling people to stay out of the sun! No wonder we're a continent of fat slugs!
:rofl: alright, only hide in the shade between 12 and 3, you may come out after that :biggrin:

I grew up with lots of mature trees in the yard. It was possible to play outside all day and still stay out of the sun. :wink:

What are the effects of tanning?

The effects of tanning can vary depending on the individual and their tanning habits, but some common effects include changes in skin color, increased risk of skin cancer, premature aging of the skin, and damage to the eyes.

How does tanning change the color of the skin?

Tanning occurs when the skin is exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or tanning beds. This exposure triggers the production of melanin, a pigment that gives skin its color. The more melanin produced, the darker the skin becomes.

Is tanning safe?

No, tanning is not safe. UV radiation from tanning can damage the DNA in skin cells, increasing the risk of developing skin cancer. It can also lead to premature wrinkles and age spots on the skin.

Are there any benefits to tanning?

There are no proven health benefits to tanning. Some people may feel that tanning improves their appearance or boosts their mood, but these effects are temporary and not worth the potential risks to skin health.

Can tanning be done safely?

Tanning can never be completely safe, as there is no such thing as a safe level of UV radiation. However, if someone chooses to tan, they can reduce their risk by using sunscreen, avoiding tanning beds, and limiting their time in the sun. It is also important to regularly check the skin for any unusual changes or growths.