The Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

In summary, acceleration due to gravity is the rate of change in an object's velocity, while force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object. Acceleration due to gravity is a constant (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth), while force due to gravity depends on the mass of the object.
AirHendrix
I have a question: What is the Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

I know the force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object on or near the surface of a celestial body but I have no idea how to describe the actual acceleration due to gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
AirHendrix said:
I have a question: What is the Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

I know the force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object on or near the surface of a celestial body but I have no idea how to describe the actual acceleration due to gravity.

Acceleration is the rate of change in the objects velocity/speed.

The force due to gravity would be what you feel when standing up for hours at a time (weight).

Think of it like this: you are standing next to a fat guy. You and the fat guy both have the same acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), but the FORCE due to gravity is different.

Acceleration due to gravity is a constant (on surface of earth). Force due to gravity depends on the mass of the object.

Thanks alot! That really helped clarify things, God Bless your scientific gifts! :)

1. What is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and the force due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity refers to the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth. It is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared and is a measure of how quickly the velocity of the object changes. On the other hand, the force due to gravity is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is determined by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them.

2. How are acceleration due to gravity and force due to gravity related?

The acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the force due to gravity. This means that as the force increases, the acceleration also increases. However, the relationship is also affected by the mass and distance between the objects.

3. Can the acceleration due to gravity and force due to gravity be different on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity and force due to gravity can vary on different planets. This is because the mass and radius of a planet affect its gravitational field, hence affecting the strength of the force and acceleration experienced by objects on the planet.

4. Is the acceleration due to gravity always constant?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared near the Earth's surface. However, it can vary at different locations on the Earth's surface due to differences in altitude and latitude.

5. How is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and force due to gravity important in everyday life?

Understanding the difference between these two concepts is important for various aspects of everyday life, such as designing buildings and structures, calculating the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of objects in free fall. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in space and on other planets.