Water flow from Tank B to Tank C sizing questions

In summary: This will increase the flow from Tank B to Tank C. In summary, to increase flow from Tank B to Tank C in a three tank system, you can use larger bulkhead fittings and transfer pipes to allow for faster balancing of water levels.
nudgemar
Brief description: I have a three tank system (A,B,C). Tank A is fitted with stand pipes with the over flow flowing down and then up through the bottom of a 1" bulkhead fitting and into Tank B. Tank B is approx. 12' x 2' x 12". At the end of Tank B is another 1" bulkhead fitting with the exit water going through 1" flex pipe down to the ground (2.5'), along the ground a distance of 5' and connected to the bottom side of a 1" bulkhead in Tank C. Tank B and C are the same level off the ground. The opposite end of Tank C has a bulkhead fitting with the exit water going down to the ground over to a pump and pumped back into Tank A.

I'd like to use just one pump and gravity to move the water from Tank A to B to C. Water leaving Tank C going back to Tank A doesn't seem to be a problem (other than I have to throttle back the flow). And Water flow from Tank A to Tank B seems to be ok. The issue is getting the water from Tank B to Tank C.

How can I increase the flow from Tank B to Tank C? Would a larger bulkhead fitting and transfer pipe work? I would like to use the principle that the water levels itself out between tanks kept at the same height.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nudgemar said:
How can I increase the flow from Tank B to Tank C? Would a larger bulkhead fitting and transfer pipe work? I would like to use the principle that the water levels itself out between tanks kept at the same height.
Yes, if you increase the size of bulkheads and pipes, C and B will balance their levels more quickly.

1. How do I calculate the required pipe size for water flow from Tank B to Tank C?

To calculate the required pipe size, the following factors must be taken into account: the flow rate, the distance between the two tanks, the type of pipe material, and the desired velocity of water flow. These calculations can be done using various formulas or online calculators.

2. What is the maximum allowable velocity for water flow between Tank B and Tank C?

The maximum allowable velocity for water flow depends on the pipe material and the type of fluid being transported. In general, a velocity of 5-7 feet per second is considered safe for most types of pipes. However, it is best to consult with a professional engineer for specific recommendations.

3. How can I ensure a consistent water flow from Tank B to Tank C?

To ensure a consistent water flow, the pipe size and material must be carefully chosen based on the flow rate and distance between the tanks. Additionally, the pipes must be properly installed and maintained to prevent any obstructions or leaks that could disrupt the flow.

4. What is the effect of elevation difference on water flow between Tank B and Tank C?

Elevation difference can greatly impact water flow between two tanks. If there is a significant elevation difference, it will create a higher pressure at the bottom tank and a lower pressure at the top tank. This can cause issues with flow rate and may require additional calculations to determine the appropriate pipe size.

5. Can the pipe size for water flow from Tank B to Tank C be changed after installation?

It is possible to change the pipe size after installation, but it may require significant modifications and can be costly. It is best to carefully plan and calculate the appropriate pipe size before installation to avoid any potential issues with water flow in the future.