How tasers that have 50,000V only produce a very low amperage

• Thread starter Amphi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amperage
In summary, the voltage in tasers is not constant and it drops significantly when current increases. This is because the energy demand (voltage multiplied by current) must stay within the maximum power limit. This is why using Ohm's law with two knowns does not work for tasers and similar phenomena. The circuit in a taser is only through a small portion of the skin, but the voltage jolt is enough to stun a person. The power output always stays the same, even when the voltage is stepped up through transformers.
Amphi
I don't understand how these tasers that have 50,000V only produce a very low amperage. According to Ohm's law that should kill you. Voltage divided by the persons resistance (Ohms).
Getting shocked by static electricity has 5000V, but doesn't kill you because there is no circuit involved, just the transfer of electrons to your finger, or whatever touched the metal. I understand that.
But when you get zapped by a taser isn't this capacitor discharging through your body, thus creating a circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The voltage is stepped up through transformers. Remember you can't get something for nothing so the power output always stays the same. When the transformers increase the voltage, the current drops...thus conservation of energy wins again! And remember the circuit is only through a small portion of the skin between the two metal pins. But the voltage jolt still hits your system enough to stun you.

I=V/R .. only if VI <Pmax

You can't use the OHM's LAW relationship with 2 knowns to find one unknown with Tazers and similar phenomena because the VOLTAGE is not constant. The Voltage drops like a rock once current goes up. So it's not a linear relationship. A powersupply operating within it's current limits obeys a LINEAR ohm's law.. upto that limit

For example, a 1pF cap charged to 100V (if possible)... only has a small amount of energy in it.. thus it can't sustain that 100V when current goes up. The voltage will drop like a rock. It's all about energy... if the energy demand (an assumed constant V mulitiplied by the I) is within the maximum Power limit, then u can assume a constant V.

I'm making a big deal about this because I've had so many people ask me questions like this. I remember a group of people at work who were saying "The people over at the ESD department are stupid, there is no way a human body can charge to thousands of volts." OR "ISn't is cheaper to amplify with transformers instead of amplifiers circuits?"

Last edited:

1. How is it possible for tasers with 50,000V to produce a low amperage?

The voltage of a taser refers to the potential difference between the two electrodes, not the amount of current flowing through the body. The amperage is regulated by the internal circuitry of the taser, which limits the amount of current that can pass through the body.

2. Is 50,000V considered a high voltage for a taser?

Yes, 50,000V is considered a high voltage for a taser. However, the duration and frequency of the electrical pulses are more important factors in determining the effectiveness of a taser.

3. How does a taser's low amperage affect its impact on the body?

A taser's low amperage allows it to temporarily disrupt the body's neuromuscular system without causing serious injury or death. This is because the amount of current is not enough to cause significant damage to the body's tissues.

4. Can a taser with 50,000V still be lethal?

While the low amperage of a taser with 50,000V makes it less likely to be lethal, there have been cases where tasers have caused fatalities. This can happen if the person being tased has underlying health conditions or if the taser is used for an extended period of time.

5. How do tasers with 50,000V compare to other self-defense weapons?

Tasers with 50,000V are considered to be a safer option compared to other self-defense weapons, such as guns or knives. This is because they are non-lethal and do not cause permanent damage to the body. However, it is important to use tasers responsibly and according to the manufacturer's instructions.