Electric and Magnetic fields of light

In summary: However, if the lossy medium is changing over time then the phase variation between the fields will also be changing over time.
tigor
It is my understanding that for all of spectrum of light Electric and Magnetic fields have the same phase.
And both fields have correlation - Magnetic fields amplitude grows along with Electric one.
I am wandering - is it possible to generate light with phase shift between fields ?

Physics news on Phys.org
tigor said:
is it possible to generate light with phase shift between fields ?
It is certainly possible to generate electric and magnetic fields that are out of phase, but they wouldn't radiate as a source-free wave in vacuum, so I wouldn't call it "light".

DaleSpam,
thank you for your response.
If i may to elaborate the debate. Is it possible to create a phase variation in a beam of light. Say, we have a laser and with help of some instruments to change the phase between the fields of that laser ?

If you propagate light through a lossy material (i.e. absorption occurs), then, in general, the electric and magnetic fields will be out of phase.

cmos said:
If you propagate light through a lossy material (i.e. absorption occurs), then, in general, the electric and magnetic fields will be out of phase.

I don't see that happening. I agree with DaleSpam (mmmm... spam) and I cannot think of a situation off-hand in a source-free region where you get a propagating wave where you can get either a temporal or spatial shift in the phase in one field over the other. The time-harmonic solution to Maxwell's equations dictates that the electric and magnetic fields must have no temporal phase shift, but the separation of variables that you get with the time-harmonic case means that the time-dependence is independent of the medium that the wave is propagating in, unless the medium itself is changing over time. Then the spatial phase dependence between the electric and magnetic fields is also the same. The magnetic field is related to the curl of the electric field, the attenuation in the electric field will have the same effect on the magnetic field. You can introduce phase shifts to the wave as it propagates, but these phase shifts are applied to both the electric and magnetic fields.

Born2bwire:

For harmonic waves (time and space), B is proportional to kxE. In lossy media, k is complex. Therefore, B has an additional phase factor with respect to E.

cmos said:
Born2bwire:

For harmonic waves (time and space), B is proportional to kxE. In lossy media, k is complex. Therefore, B has an additional phase factor with respect to E.

cmos, thank you for your reply.
With respect to propogating light through a lossy media. What would happen once beam of light is out of lossy media ? Would the phase variation return to zero or will it remain ?

By the same argument, if you propagate back out into a lossless medium, then the electric and magnetic fields should be back in phase with each other.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is created by the presence of a charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within the field.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electrically charged particle. It is created by the movement of electric charges and can exert a force on other moving charges within the field.

How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often referred to as electromagnetic fields. When an electrically charged particle moves, it creates a magnetic field. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can create an electric field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s).

How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a nearby conductor, or when a changing electric field induces a magnetic field. This interaction is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and transformers.