Surface tension of an ant on water

In summary, the question asks how much edge is required for a human weighing 50 kg to "walk on water" with the aid of surface tension. Assuming a linear relationship between weight and edge, this can be calculated. The term "edge" refers to the perimeter of an area and the amount of weight that surface tension can support depends on the amount of edge.
engineer23

Homework Statement

An ant weighs 5 mg and requires 0.5 mm of edge to "walk on water" with the aid of surface tension. How much edge is required for a human who weighs 50 kg?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the relationship between area and weight is linear in this case. Is this a correct assumption?? If so, then I know how to work the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes,are directly proportional to weight

CAn you explain meaning of edge, I've never used this term in surface tension problems.
And in my view surface tension can't bear 50kg force.

rajatgl16 said:
CAn you explain meaning of edge, I've never used this term in surface tension problems.
Think of 'edge' as the perimeter of an area.
And in my view surface tension can't bear 50kg force.
Wouldn't that depend on how much 'edge' you have? (That's the point of the exercise.)

(Note that you are responding to a post that is over a year old.)

I would say that your assumption is generally correct. However, there may be other factors at play that could affect the amount of edge required for a human to walk on water. These could include the surface tension of the water itself, the distribution of weight on the human's body, and the shape and size of the human's feet. It would be important to conduct experiments and gather data to confirm the relationship between area and weight for humans walking on water. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consider other variables and factors that could impact this phenomenon.

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the property of a liquid that causes its surface to behave like a thin, elastic skin. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules.

2. Why is surface tension important?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, the floating of objects on water, and the movement of fluids through narrow spaces.

3. How does an ant walk on water?

An ant is able to walk on water due to its small size and the surface tension of water. The ant's tiny legs distribute its weight over a large surface area, allowing it to exert enough force to break through the water's surface tension and walk on top of it.

4. Can surface tension be measured?

Yes, the surface tension of a liquid can be measured using a device called a tensiometer. This instrument measures the force required to break through the surface of the liquid.

5. How does surface tension affect the behavior of ants on water?

The surface tension of water allows ants to walk on its surface, but it also makes it difficult for them to swim. When an ant falls into water, it may become trapped due to the surface tension pulling on its body. However, some ants have adapted to this by secreting a substance that reduces the surface tension and allows them to swim more easily.