Velocity of a liquid leaving a tank with an angle

In summary, a small hole in a tank of liquid at a distance below the surface allows the liquid to rise to a height equal to the hole's diameter.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A closed tank contains a liquid of density [tex]\rho[/tex] and a gas (over the liquid) at a pressure [tex]P[/tex]. Suppose there's a little hole (much smaller than the cross section of the tank so that when the liquid flows by the hole, the height of the liquid doesn't change with time) in the tank at a distance [tex]H[/tex] under the liquid' surface. Now suppose I plug a small tube (at the orifice) forming an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] over the horizontal. How high will the liquid goes over the orifice, in terms of [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex]?

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the velocity of which the liquid leaves the tank : [tex]v=\sqrt{2 \left [ \frac{(P-P_{\text{atm}})}{\rho}+gH \right ] }[/tex].
Now how do I continue? I've tried something with conservation of energy but I'm sure I made an error since I get [tex]x=\frac{P-P_{\text{atm}}}{\rho g}+H[/tex] which doesn't depend on [tex]\alpha[/tex] as requested. I also notice that the height cannot be larger than [tex]H[/tex]! So my result is wrong.
I'd like to have some guidance, like "Consider a small element [tex]dr[/tex] and check out its velocity" or so.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula seems to give the height for the case when it is shot straight up.
To get the height in the angular case, won't you have to do a horizontal and vertical trajectory solution? As if a particle of the liquid is launched at the initial speed you found.

Delphi51 said:
That formula seems to give the height for the case when it is shot straight up.
To get the height in the angular case, won't you have to do a horizontal and vertical trajectory solution? As if a particle of the liquid is launched at the initial speed you found.
Ah thanks a lot!

So the answer would be [tex]v'=\sin (\alpha ) \cdot v=\sqrt{2 \left [ \frac{(P-P_{\text{atm}})}{\rho}+gH \right ] }[/tex] for the speed in the vertical axis and it remains to apply the conservation of energy, namely that [tex]\frac{mv'^2}{2}=mgx[/tex] and get [tex]x[/tex]?

I'm wary of using energy - not sure how energy splits between horizontal and vertical! Say you have a whole velocity of v, vertical component u = v*sinα. Then gravity will reduce the vertical speed to zero according to 0 = u-gt so t = u/g.
The distance traveled vertically in this time is
h = ut - .5*g*t² = u²/g -.5*u²/g = .5u²/g.
Ah, that is the same answer you got with energy.

Delphi51 said:
I'm wary of using energy - not sure how energy splits between horizontal and vertical! Say you have a whole velocity of v, vertical component u = v*sinα. Then gravity will reduce the vertical speed to zero according to 0 = u-gt so t = u/g.
The distance traveled vertically in this time is
h = ut - .5*g*t² = u²/g -.5*u²/g = .5u²/g.
Ah, that is the same answer you got with energy.

I appreciate very much your time and effort.
Problem solved then. Thank you.

1. What is the velocity of a liquid leaving a tank with an angle?

The velocity of a liquid leaving a tank with an angle depends on several factors, including the angle of the tank, the size of the opening, and the type of liquid. It can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation or through experimental methods.

2. How does the angle of the tank affect the velocity of the liquid leaving?

The angle of the tank plays a significant role in determining the velocity of the liquid leaving. A greater angle can result in a higher velocity due to the increased gravitational force acting on the liquid.

3. Is there a maximum velocity for a liquid leaving a tank with an angle?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity for a liquid leaving a tank with an angle. This is known as the critical velocity, and it occurs when the kinetic energy of the liquid is equal to the potential energy due to the angle of the tank.

4. Can the velocity of the liquid leaving a tank with an angle be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of the liquid leaving a tank with an angle can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the tank, the size of the opening, and the type of liquid. Additionally, using devices such as valves or pumps can also help regulate the velocity.

5. How does the type of liquid affect the velocity of the liquid leaving a tank with an angle?

The type of liquid can significantly impact the velocity of the liquid leaving a tank with an angle. Factors such as viscosity, density, and surface tension can all affect the velocity. Thicker and more viscous liquids tend to have lower velocities, while less viscous liquids can have higher velocities.