Standard enthelphy change and hybridisation

In summary, standard enthalpy change is a measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction under standard conditions. It is calculated by finding the difference between the enthalpies of the products and reactants. Hybridisation is the mixing of atomic orbitals to form hybrid orbitals during covalent bond formation and plays a crucial role in the properties of molecules. It only occurs in atoms that form covalent bonds and have more than one valence shell.
crays
Hi guys, here i have two question, but i don't understand the answer at all.

For the standard enthalphy change question 5) b) i) shouldn't it be standard enthalphy change = Product - Reactant? But from the answer it was given as reactant - product.

For question number 8, i don't understand why Fe2+ still has 6 valence electrons, shouldn't it be 4?

ques1.jpg

ques2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help please?

Hello,

Thank you for your questions regarding standard enthalpy change and hybridization. Let me explain the answers to your questions in more detail.

First, for question 5) b) i), the standard enthalpy change is defined as the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. In other words, it is the change in energy that occurs during a chemical reaction. Therefore, the correct equation for standard enthalpy change is indeed Product - Reactant. It is possible that there was a mistake in the answer provided to you.

For question number 8, the number of valence electrons in Fe2+ is indeed 4. However, when we talk about hybridization, we are referring to the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals. In this case, the Fe2+ ion would have 6 valence electrons in its hybrid orbitals, as it is in the +2 oxidation state and has lost two electrons. This does not change the overall number of valence electrons in the ion, but it does affect the arrangement of those electrons in the hybrid orbitals.

I hope this clarifies your questions. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries. Thank you for your interest in science.

1. What is standard enthalpy change and how does it relate to chemical reactions?

Standard enthalpy change is a measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction that occurs under standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm). It is denoted by the symbol ΔH° and is typically expressed in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This value represents the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. A negative value for ΔH° indicates an exothermic reaction, where heat is released, while a positive value indicates an endothermic reaction, where heat is absorbed.

2. How is standard enthalpy change calculated?

The standard enthalpy change can be calculated using the following equation: ΔH° = ΣΔH°(products) - ΣΔH°(reactants), where Σ represents the sum of the enthalpies of all the products and reactants. This value can be determined experimentally using calorimetry, or it can be calculated using bond enthalpies or standard enthalpies of formation.

3. What is hybridisation and why is it important in chemistry?

Hybridisation is a concept in chemistry that describes the mixing of atomic orbitals to form hybrid orbitals during the formation of covalent bonds. This process allows for the formation of strong, stable bonds between atoms, which is crucial for the formation of molecules and compounds. Hybridisation also explains the shapes and geometries of molecules, which play a significant role in their physical and chemical properties.

4. How does hybridisation affect the properties of molecules?

The type of hybridisation in a molecule can greatly impact its properties. For example, molecules with sp3 hybridisation, such as methane, have a tetrahedral shape and are non-polar, while molecules with sp2 hybridisation, such as ethene, have a trigonal planar shape and are polar. This affects the molecule's reactivity, polarity, and other physical and chemical properties.

5. Can hybridisation occur in all atoms?

No, hybridisation only occurs in atoms that form covalent bonds. This includes atoms with valence electrons in the s and p orbitals, such as carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. Hybridisation does not occur in atoms with full valence shells, such as noble gases, as they do not form covalent bonds. Additionally, hybridisation can only occur in atoms with more than one valence shell, as the mixing of orbitals is necessary for the formation of hybrid orbitals.