Calculating Torque for a Rectangular Prism Robot

In summary, the robot has a rectangular prism body with dimensions of 10cm x 2cm x 2cm and a mass of 1kg. The body has a uniformly distributed mass and an axle bisects the bottom face. Two wheels, each with a radius of 1cm and no mass, are attached to the sides of the body and rotate on the axle. The body is rotated forward Pi/12 radians on the same axis as the axle. The required torque to maintain the body's orientation is sin[Pi/12].1Kg.5cm, regardless of whether the wheels are glued to the ground or not. However, if the wheels can spin, there will be a practical problem as the torque will
NohtSmrt
A robot has a rectangular prism for a body. The body is 10cm high, 2cm wide, 2cm long, has a mass of 1kg and it’s mass is uniformly distributed. An axle bisects the bottom face of the body. On each side of the body is a wheel that rotates on the axle. The wheels have a radius of 1cm and have no mass. The body is rotated Pi/12 radians forward, (on the same axis as the axle). What torque needs to be applied at the axle to maintain the body’s orientation?

If the wheels are glued the ground I think the answer is…

Sin[Pi/12].1Kg.5cm
Or about 1.3Kg.cm

But if the wheels can spin, does that change the answer? (Assume that it's already moving as fast as needs to; there won't be any acceleration)

I'm actually building a similar robot and would like work out all the dynamics, but for the moment I'm ignoring as much as possible (fricition, inertia, etc...)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the required torque is: sin[pi/12].1Kg.5cm
and this will also be required to keep the robot in this position if the wheels can spin.
However, there is a practical problem if the wheels can spin: the torque will "try" to rotate the axle with the wheels, if the wheels are glued to the ground there is no problem because an elastic force inside the glue will counteract this force and prevent the wheels from turning (and the robot from falling), if the wheels are not glued to the ground the wheels will turn and because you have to maintain the torque the robot just has to accelerate… because constant torque in this case means constant rotational acceleration…

Thanks for your reply.

I've talked to others and come to similar conclusion.

constant torque in this case means constant rotational acceleration

And if the wheels are rolling (not sliding) this will mean constant linear acceleration. But if we consider aerodynamic drag, then there will be a velocity at which the drag will balance friction between the wheels and the ground generated by the torque at the axle.

Ultimately I want to come up with a torque function F(t) where t is time that will put the robot back into balance by t = 1s. As well as finishing with no linear or rotational velocity.

1. How do I calculate the torque for a rectangular prism robot?

To calculate the torque for a rectangular prism robot, you will need to find the distance from the point of rotation (usually the center of the robot) to the point where the force is applied, also known as the moment arm. Then, multiply this distance by the force applied to the robot. This will give you the torque in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

2. What is the formula for calculating torque in a rectangular prism robot?

The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In a rectangular prism robot, the distance will be the distance from the center of the robot to the edge where the force is applied.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating torque in any shape of robot?

No, the formula for calculating torque may vary depending on the shape of the robot. For a rectangular prism robot, the formula is T = F x d, but for other shapes, such as a sphere or a cylinder, the formula will be different. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific shape of your robot.

4. How does torque affect the movement of a rectangular prism robot?

Torque is directly related to the rotational motion of a rectangular prism robot. The higher the torque, the greater the rotational force, and the faster the robot will turn. However, if the torque is too high, it can cause the robot to lose control and potentially damage its components.

5. What factors can affect the torque of a rectangular prism robot?

The torque of a rectangular prism robot can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied, the strength of the force applied, and the weight and distribution of weight in the robot. Additionally, friction and external forces such as wind resistance can also impact the torque of the robot.