Building a Voltage-Controlled Amplifier with Components

In summary, the conversation is about building a voltage-controlled amplifier using an operational amplifier (741), a capacitor between 1 to 10 microfarads, and a variable resistor. The discussion also includes analyzing the attached circuit and understanding its components and their effects on the gain of the circuit. The conversation also touches upon using the JFET gate connection to the negative supply and how it affects the amplifier. The equation for the gain of the circuit is mentioned, along with information on creating an amplifier from a non-inverting amplifier. The conversation also discusses component terminal connections and maximum power ratings. The JFET being used is identified as 2N3819 and its properties are mentioned.
tics
"VOLTAGE-CONTROLLED AMPLIFIER". I am required to build a voltage-controlled amplifier

Homework Statement

"VOLTAGE-CONTROLLED AMPLIFIER". I am required to build a voltage-controlled amplifier,using:
1 operational amplifier(741), 1 capacitor between 1 to 10 microfarad(Electrolytic polarised or non-polar), 1 variable resistor.
I need help to analyse the attached circuit with the aid of the following:
notice how the JFET gate is connected to the negative supply. Why is that?
Which components in the circuit determine the gain of the circuit? how does an ohmic region affect an amplifier?
What is the equation of for the gain of the projct circuit in terms of the components in the circuit? how do you make an amplifier from a non-inverting amplifier?
Provide info regarding component terminal connections, max. power ratings

Homework Equations

non-inverting gain equation,

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to build a non-inverting amplifier and inserted a volatge-divider to make it an amplifier.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Id=Idss[1-Vgs/Vgs(cutoff)]*2

Attachments

• Project circuit.jpg
    Project circuit.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org

which university of technology do you go to?

tics said:

Homework Statement

"VOLTAGE-CONTROLLED AMPLIFIER". I am required to build a voltage-controlled amplifier,using:
1 operational amplifier(741), 1 capacitor between 1 to 10 microfarad(Electrolytic polarised or non-polar), 1 variable resistor.
I need help to analyse the attached circuit with the aid of the following:
notice how the JFET gate is connected to the negative supply. Why is that?
Which components in the circuit determine the gain of the circuit? how does an ohmic region affect an amplifier?
What is the equation of for the gain of the projct circuit in terms of the components in the circuit? how do you make an amplifier from a non-inverting amplifier?
Provide info regarding component terminal connections, max. power ratings

Homework Equations

non-inverting gain equation,

I tried to build a non-inverting amplifier and inserted a volatge-divider to make it an amplifier.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Id=Idss[1-Vgs/Vgs(cutoff)]*2

Welcome to the PF. That's a bit of a strange connection, but what property of the JFET do you think they are using in that connection?

Thank for your reply.The JFET=2N3819.

I would like to address the content of building a voltage-controlled amplifier with components. This is a common task in the field of electronics and can be achieved by using an operational amplifier (in this case, the 741 model), a capacitor, and a variable resistor.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of a voltage-controlled amplifier. This type of amplifier has a gain that is controlled by an input voltage. In other words, the output voltage of the amplifier is directly proportional to the input voltage. This makes it a very useful tool in electronic circuits, as it allows for precise control of the amplification level.

Now, let's analyze the attached circuit. One important aspect to note is the connection of the JFET gate to the negative supply. This is known as a common-source configuration and it allows for a high input impedance, making it suitable for voltage-controlled amplifiers. The JFET acts as a voltage-controlled resistor, with its resistance changing based on the input voltage. This, in turn, affects the gain of the amplifier.

The components that determine the gain of the circuit are the resistor and the JFET. The gain can be calculated using the non-inverting gain equation, which is (1+R2/R1). In this case, R2 is the variable resistor and R1 is the resistance of the JFET.

The ohmic region of the JFET is important in this circuit as it allows for a linear relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage. If the JFET is not in the ohmic region, the output voltage will not be proportional to the input voltage, and the amplifier will not function correctly.

To make an amplifier from a non-inverting amplifier, we can simply add a voltage divider to the input. This will allow for control of the input voltage, which in turn will control the gain of the amplifier.

When building this circuit, it is important to pay attention to the component terminal connections. The positive and negative supply terminals of the operational amplifier should be connected correctly to the power source, and the JFET should be connected with the correct polarity. It is also important to consider the maximum power ratings of the components to ensure they can handle the voltage and current levels in the circuit.

In conclusion, building a voltage-controlled amplifier requires a good understanding of the components involved and their functions in the circuit. By carefully considering the JFET connection, the gain equation, and the

1. How does a voltage-controlled amplifier work?

A voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA) is an electronic circuit that amplifies a signal in proportion to the voltage applied to its control input. It typically consists of a variable gain amplifier, a control circuit, and a voltage-controlled resistor or transistor. As the control voltage changes, the gain of the amplifier also changes, allowing for precise control over the amplification of the input signal.

2. What components are needed to build a voltage-controlled amplifier?

To build a voltage-controlled amplifier, you will need a variable gain amplifier such as an operational amplifier (op-amp), a control circuit such as a potentiometer or voltage divider, and a voltage-controlled resistor or transistor such as a field-effect transistor (FET). You may also need additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and power supplies to complete the circuit.

3. Can I use any type of op-amp for a voltage-controlled amplifier?

Not all op-amps are suitable for voltage-controlled amplifiers. Ideally, you should use a high-gain, low-noise op-amp with a wide bandwidth. Some popular choices include the LM13700, LM13600, and CA3080. It is important to consult the datasheet and choose an op-amp with the appropriate specifications for your specific application.

4. How do I adjust the gain of a voltage-controlled amplifier?

The gain of a voltage-controlled amplifier can be adjusted by varying the control voltage. This can be achieved by using a potentiometer or voltage divider in the control circuit. By changing the resistance or voltage applied to the control input, the gain of the amplifier will also change accordingly.

5. Are there any potential issues I should be aware of when building a voltage-controlled amplifier?

One potential issue with building a voltage-controlled amplifier is signal distortion. This can occur if the control voltage is not properly biased or if the amplifier is overdriven. It is important to carefully choose and design the control circuit to avoid these issues. Additionally, external noise can also be a problem, so proper shielding and grounding techniques should be utilized to minimize interference.