Statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box

In summary: Hi Harald, I think this is a great question and it's definitely closer to physics than pure math. As you mentioned, the setup is idealized but it still has some interesting implications. In summary, we have a system of N ideal particles in an enclosure, with constant speed and random directions. The average velocity of the particles is zero and we are interested in estimating the sum of the squares of the differences between the velocities of all particles. This can be simplified to (N^2-N)/2 times the expected value of the differences, which is (1-1/N) times the constant speed squared. This estimation does not enforce the condition (*), but it does converge to it for large N. Overall, this seems to
birulami
Suppose I have N ideal particles in an enclosure, be it a ball or a cube or some other form. The particles shall bounce off the walls of the enclosure and against each other without losing speed. The velocity of each particle [tex]i[/tex] shall be such that it fullfills [tex]|v_i|=\rho[/tex], where [tex]\rho[/tex] is constant, i.e. the speed is always the same, but of course the direction in 3D differs.

Further, on the average, the whole ensemble of points shall not move, i.e.

(*) [tex]\sum_{i=1}^N v_i = 0[/tex]

or at least the sum is very close to zero.

Apart from this, the velocities' directions shall be completely random. What exactly this would mean may need to be further defined.

My questions are:
1) How can I estimate [tex]\frac{1}{N^2}\sum_{i<j} (v_i-v_j)^2[/tex]?
2) Is the "boxed" condition used in the derivation or does (*) contain all we need?

Maybe this is not really a physics question, because the setup is too idealised, but I assume that is still closer to physics than to pure math.

Harald.

Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
You might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particles_in_a_box

An interesting link that I will certainly take a closer look at. But on first glance it seems to relate to quantum physics, which is certainly not what I am after here.

Harald.

Hi birulamy,

it looks very much like a micro-canonical ensemble so I would expect you will get the basic results of statistical mechanics.

1) can be simplified by
- extending sum over all i,j and dividing by two
- expanding the square of the binomial
the results I think is rho^2 (or whatever letter you use for the particles' constant speed)
2) not sure what you mean

Let me know if you need details

Hi dgOnPhys,

thanks for the hint about the micro-canonical ensemble. In particular the connection to entropy is interesting for me.

It seems like I got a solution myself which is most likely the same as you state. By setting [tex]d_{ij}=v_i-v_j[/tex] and assuming that the sum can be approximated by taking [tex](N^2-N)/2[/tex] times the expected value of the [tex]d_{ij}[/tex], I got the result [tex](1-1/N)\rho^2[/tex]. The discrepancy is most likely that this estimation does not enforce the condition (*), but only converges to it for large N.

Harald.

Hi Harald,

without approximations:
[tex]\frac{1}{N^2}\sum_{i<j} (v_i-v_j)^2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2N^2}\sum_{i,j} (v_i-v_j)^2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2N^2}\sum_{i,j} (v_i^2+v_j^2-2 v_i . v_j)=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2N^2}\sum_{i,j} (2 \rho^2-2 v_i . v_j)=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2N^2}(2 N^2 \rho^2 - 2 \sum_{i,j} (v_i . v_j))=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{N^2}( N^2 \rho^2 - \sum_{i} (v_i . \sum_{j}v_j))=\rho^2[/tex]

1. What is the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box?

The statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box refers to the distribution and movement of these particles within a confined space. This behavior is governed by the laws of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

2. How do ideal particles behave in a closed box?

Ideal particles in a closed box exhibit random and unpredictable movement, known as Brownian motion. They also follow the principles of equilibrium, where the distribution of particles is evenly spread throughout the box.

3. What is the significance of studying the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box?

Studying the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box allows us to understand the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and material science.

4. How does temperature affect the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box. As the temperature increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy, leading to faster and more frequent collisions, resulting in an increase in overall particle movement.

5. What are some real-life examples that demonstrate the statistical behaviour of ideal particles in a closed box?

Some examples include the diffusion of gases in a container, the behavior of particles in a chemical reaction, and the movement of molecules in a solid or liquid. The statistical behavior of particles is also observed in atmospheric phenomena such as wind patterns and ocean currents.