Newton's 2nd Law: Why 10kg Mass Doesn't Fall Faster Than 5kg Mass

In summary: I'm sorry. I was wrong.In summary, a 10 kg mass and a 5 kg mass will both experience the same acceleration due to the gravitational force of the Earth. This is because the gravitational force is proportional to mass, so the ratio of force to mass remains the same. This concept was discovered by Galileo, but it wasn't until Newton's 2nd law of motion that the reason behind it was understood. The combined gravitational force of the Earth and the mass will be different for each object, with the 10 kg mass experiencing twice the force as the 5 kg mass. However, the force exerted by the Earth on each mass will be the same.
Soaring Crane
A 10 kg mass experiences twice the gravitational force as a 5 kg mass. Why doesn't the 10 kg mass fall faster than the 5 kg mass?

I never understood the reason. All I know is that Galileo found that objects dropped near the Earth's surface will fall faster with the same acceleration or g (neglecting air resistance).

Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Using Newton's 2nd Law, Neglecting Air Resistance

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Forces acting on a body on freefall

[tex] m \vec{g} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

so

[tex] \vec{g} = \vec{a} [/tex]

All objects will experience the same acceleration, no matter what their mass is.

Soaring Crane said:
All I know is that Galileo found that objects dropped near the Earth's surface will fall faster with the same acceleration or g (neglecting air resistance).

Thanks. :smile:

Well, no, that discovery had to wait for Isaac Newton who recognized Earth's gravitational pull on the moon. Galileo was a little more down to Earth.

Either that is a trick question, or who ever made it up doesn't know very much

KaneOris said:
Either that is a trick question, or who ever made it up doesn't know very much

I don't think it's a trick. It is pedagogical and intended to get students to think it through.

A 10 kg mass experiences twice the gravitational force as a 5 kg mass. Why doesn't the 10 kg mass fall faster than the 5 kg mass?

I kind of like the way the question was worded. It leaves very little open to interpretation. I remember in my physics class last year the teacher asked a question like this but worded it as "two objects, one twice the mass of the other are dropped. how much longer does it each mass to reach the ground?" Of course the question didn't mention the shape of the objects, air resistance being negligible, etc. It's concise and none of that shape stuff applies with the above worded question because it's clear what the magnitude of the resultant force is.

Edit: Tide how'd you get those homework helper and science advisor pictures? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vsage,

I agree with you on the wording!

Regarding the pics - they just appeared there one day. I guess I just post too much! ;-)

Soaring Crane said:
As others have explained, from Newton's 2nd law you know that the acceleration of an object is given by:
[tex]a = F/m[/tex]
Since the gravitational force is proportional to the mass, that ratio never changes. Neglecting friction, all falling objects have the same acceleration due to gravity.
I never understood the reason. All I know is that Galileo found that objects dropped near the Earth's surface will fall faster with the same acceleration or g (neglecting air resistance).
Galileo found that all objects had the same acceleration, but he didn't know why. For that we had to wait for Newton.

In addition to his experimental work, Galileo made some clever arguments that showed that all objects must fall at the same rate. Here's the basic idea of one of them. Imagine two cannon balls falling side by side. They, of course, fall together. But if they were attached (thus making a double-sized ball) would it change anything? No! So two masses stuck together will fall at the same rate as one mass. Thus the acceleration must be independent of the mass.

vsage said:
Edit: Tide how'd you get those homework helper and science advisor pictures?
Those "ribbons" are awarded by the PF staff to recognize members who consistently prove themselves to be a reliable source of scientific information and who extend themselves to give good homework help. He earned it! :smile:

Soaring Crane said:

I don't like the wording either.
The 10 kg mass will not experience twice the gravitational force, it will experience the same gravitational force as the 5 kg mass.

The combined gravitational force of the Earth + 10kg mass will be twice that of the combined gravitational force of the Earth + 5 kg mass. And that's why the 10kg mass will weigh twice as much as the 5kg miass when you place them on a bathroom scale.

But an object doesn't exert a gravitational force on itself. The force exerted
by the Earth will be the same on both objects.

tony873004 said:
The 10 kg mass will not experience twice the gravitational force, it will experience the same gravitational force as the 5 kg mass.
Not true. The gravitational force on the 10 kg mass is twice that on the 5 kg mass.
The combined gravitational force of the Earth + 10kg mass will be twice that of the combined gravitational force of the Earth + 5 kg mass. And that's why the 10kg mass will weigh twice as much as the 5kg miass when you place them on a bathroom scale.
I don't know what you mean by "combined gravitational force". Each mass and the Earth exert equal and opposite forces on each other. In the case of the 10 kg mass, that force is about 98 N; for the 5 kg mass, half that.

The force exerted
by the Earth will be the same on both objects.
Not true. (See above.)

Doc Al said:
Not true. The gravitational force on the 10 kg mass is twice that on the 5 kg mass.
You're right. I was confusing it with acceleration.

1. Why does a 10kg mass not fall faster than a 5kg mass according to Newton's 2nd Law?

According to Newton's 2nd Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that for two objects with the same net force acting on them, the one with a smaller mass will have a greater acceleration. Therefore, a 5kg mass will fall faster than a 10kg mass.

2. How does Newton's 2nd Law explain the relationship between mass and acceleration?

Newton's 2nd Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can you provide an example of how Newton's 2nd Law works in real life?

Yes, for example, if you push a shopping cart with a force of 10 Newtons, and it has a mass of 20kg, its acceleration will be 0.5 m/s^2. But if you push the same shopping cart with the same force of 10 Newtons, but it has a mass of 10kg, its acceleration will be 1 m/s^2. This demonstrates the inverse relationship between mass and acceleration as described by Newton's 2nd Law.

4. How does the force of gravity play a role in Newton's 2nd Law?

The force of gravity is one of the forces that can act on an object and contribute to its net force. According to Newton's 2nd Law, the net force acting on an object determines its acceleration. So, the force of gravity, along with other forces, can affect the acceleration of an object.

5. Is Newton's 2nd Law applicable to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law is a fundamental principle of classical mechanics and is applicable to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. It explains the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration and can be used to predict the motion of an object under the influence of different forces.