Functions-Domains,Ranges and Subsets.

• Thread starter Demoniac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to functions and subsets. The first problem involves finding the largest subset of real numbers that can serve as the domain for a given function, and determining if the function is onto when the domain and range are equal. The second problem involves determining if a graph represents a function and identifying the domains and ranges. The conversation also includes a request for an explanation of subsets and functions.
Demoniac

Homework Statement

Can you please explain in as much detail as possible the two following problems?
1.Each set is a function from set A to set B. a.What is the largest subset of the real numbers that can be set A, the domain of the given function? b. If set A=set B, is the function onto? Justify your answer. The problem is {x,y):y=5-x}.

2.For the next problem I can't actually show you the graph but I have to determine if the graph represents a function and I have to state the domains and ranges. How would I do this on a graph?

And what exactly is a subset?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't even seem to wrap my head around the problem. I just couldn't figure it out. I stared at it for about an hour and I still couldn't understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do a Wikipedia on what a subset and a function is.

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of elements, known as the domain and range. It maps each element in the domain to exactly one element in the range.

What is a domain?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, or independent variables, for the function. It is often represented by the variable x.

What is a range?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or dependent variables, for the function. It is often represented by the variable y.

What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements from a larger set. In the context of functions, the range can be considered a subset of the codomain, which is the set of all possible output values for the function.

How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, look at the input values and determine the set of all possible values that can be substituted into the function. To determine the range, look at the output values and determine the set of all possible values that can be produced by the function.