Tensor Rank of 2X2 Matrix: Is It Always 2?

In summary, the definition of "Rank" should agree for both the rank of a 2X2 matrix and the "tensor rank" of the same 2X2 matrix. The definition of tensor rank is the minimum number of "diads" in the decomposition for a matrix and the minimum number of "triads" in the decomposition for a 2x2x2 array. This means that the tensor rank for the given matrix (1 1/0 1) is 2, since it can be written as (1,0) @ (1,1) + (0,1) @ (0,1). However, in an article, it is asserted that the tensor rank for this same matrix is
siyacar
Should not the definition of "Rank" agree in the two cases below? :

1)rank of a 2X2 matrix and

2) "tensor rank" of the same 2X2 matrix

Here is my particular example?

|1 1|
|0 1|

This matrix has rank 2. What is its tensor rank? Still 2?

Thnk you

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start from the definitions. What is the <rank> of a tensor defined to be ?

Thank you for your response.
Background: I am just learning the notion of tensor rank. My real effort was understanding a certain article where
2x2x2 and 4x4x4 etc, arrays are involved. I was warming up, so to speak, and ran into some problems.

I do know the definition of tensor rank I believe. It is the minimum number of "diads" in the decomposition (in the case of a matrix), and the minimum number of "triads"
used in the decomposition for a 2x2x2 array.

So if @ denotes the tensor rank, the matrix I have posted shoud have tensor rank 2 since it can be written as:

(1,0) @ (1,1) + (0,1) @ (0,1)

Here is my question:
I will write a 2x2x2 array below; by first writing the front face as a matrix and the back face as a matrix.

Front |-1 0| Back |0 1|
|0 1| |1 0|

In this article it is asserted that the rank if this 2x2x2 array is 3, BUT it 2 (not 3) if the entries are considered to be Complex numbers instead of Real numbers.
I was trying to verify this (I was not able to).
If the assertion is correct, then, while the rank of a matrix does not depend on the base field of the entries, it does depend on the filed for a 2x2x2 array.

Any help is appreciated in verifying that the tensor rank is 2 for this array when considered as Complex entries. I thank you for your time

What is the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix?

The tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix is defined as the minimum number of rank-one matrices needed to express the original matrix as a sum.

Is the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix always 2?

No, the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix can vary depending on the matrix elements. It can be 1, 2, or 3.

What does a tensor rank of 1 mean for a 2x2 matrix?

If the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix is 1, it means that the matrix can be expressed as a single outer product of two vectors. This indicates that the matrix is a scalar multiple of a single matrix.

How can the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix be determined?

The tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix can be determined by performing a singular value decomposition (SVD) on the matrix and counting the number of non-zero singular values. The number of non-zero singular values is equal to the tensor rank.

Why is the tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix important?

The tensor rank of a 2x2 matrix is important in understanding the structure and properties of the matrix. It can also be used in various applications, such as image processing and data compression, where it helps in reducing the dimensionality of data.