General Tensor contraction: Trace of Energy-Momentum Tensor (Einstein metric)

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy-momentum tensor and its approximation as a fluid with energy density and pressure. The equations g^{i j} g_{i j} and g^{i j} u_i u_j are mentioned and their values are found to be 4 and 1, respectively, because of the 4 dimensions being discussed in the context of special and general relativity. The speaker also expresses uncertainty about the dimensions of tensors in general.
tetris11
Okay so I have:

Eqn1) Tij=[tex]\rho[/tex]uiuj-phij = [tex]\rho[/tex]uiuj-p(gij-uiuj)

Where Tij is the energy-momentum tensor, being approximated as a fluid with [tex]\rho[/tex] as the energy density and p as the pressure in the medium.

My problem:
Eqn2) Trace(T) = Tii = gijTij = [tex]\rho[/tex]-3p

My attempt:

Tr(T) = Tii = gij[[tex]\rho[/tex]uiuj-p(gij-uiuj)]
= [[tex]\rho[/tex]gijuiuj-pgijgij+pgijuiuj)]
= [tex]\rho[/tex]u - p + pu

which doesn't equal rho-3p (eqn2) as required, so I've done something wrong.
I think I've contracted incorrectly but I don't know why... please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the following?

[tex]g^{i j} g_{i j} = ?[/tex]

[tex]g^{i j} u_i u_j = ?[/tex]

Well,
[tex]g^{i j} u_i u_j = 1[/tex]

[tex]g^{i j} g_{i j} = ??[/tex]
uh... g? or 0?

Might need to help me out here, maths isn't my first language...

Cheers man, that actually makes complete sense - but just for the record:

gij gij = δii = n, where n is number of dimensions?

I'm just wondering how you knew it was four without knowing how dimensions it was.
Tensors aren't all 4-d, right?

tetris11 said:
Cheers man, that actually makes complete sense - but just for the record:

gij gij = δii = n, where n is number of dimensions?

I'm just wondering how you knew it was four without knowing how dimensions it was.
Tensors aren't all 4-d, right?

Well this is the 'Special & General Relativity' board so it was probably just a good guess?

1. What is a tensor and what is its role in physics?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the physical properties of a system. In physics, tensors are used to represent quantities such as force, energy, and momentum, and to describe how these quantities change in different directions and under different conditions.

2. What is meant by tensor contraction?

Tensor contraction is a mathematical operation where indices of a tensor are summed over, resulting in a scalar value. This operation is used to simplify and manipulate tensor equations, making them easier to solve.

3. What is the energy-momentum tensor?

The energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum in a physical system. It describes how energy and momentum are distributed in space and time, and how they interact with each other.

4. What is the trace of the energy-momentum tensor?

The trace of the energy-momentum tensor is the sum of its diagonal elements. In physics, it represents the total energy density and pressure of a system, and is an important quantity in the study of general relativity and cosmology.

5. How is the trace of the energy-momentum tensor related to the Einstein metric?

The Einstein metric is a mathematical representation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. The trace of the energy-momentum tensor is related to the Einstein metric through Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it.