Calculating Current in a Series Circuit with Different Bulb Resistances

In summary, two light bulbs with different wattages are connected in series across a 240V line. The voltage drop across both bulbs is 240V, not doubled. The total resistance of the circuit can be determined by adding the individual resistances of the bulbs. Using Ohm's Law, the current through the circuit can be found.
Romperstomper
A 60W-120V bulb and a 200W-120V bulb are connected in a series across a 240V line. Assume that the resistance of each bulb does not vary with current.(Note:The 60W-120V means it dissipates 60W when connected to a 120V line, and the 200W-120V means it dissipates 200W when connected to a 120V line). Find the current running through the bulbs.

What I did: The voltage is double, so I figured that if the voltage is doubled, the power must be doubled since [tex] P = I * \Delta V[/tex] and the current remains the same. Since [tex] \Delta V[/tex] changes between each bulb, I decided to use the net power and solved for I.

[tex]520 = I * 240 = 2.17A[/tex]. This is way off from the answer of .769A. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hooking up light bulbs in series is equivalent to hooking up to resistors in series - i.e. the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances.

Also, the total voltage drop across both lights will be 240 V - NOT double! I.e. the sum of the potential drops the two bulbs must add up to 240 V.

Use the data provided to determine the resistance of each light bulb, add them together and use Ohm's Law to find the current through the circuit.

Ok, I see what I was doing wrong. I reworked it out and got the right answer. Thanks for the help.

1. How do light bulbs in series work?

Light bulbs in series are connected in a single circuit, which means that the current flowing through one bulb must also flow through all the others. This causes the bulbs to share the voltage, resulting in a dimmer glow for each bulb as more are added to the circuit.

2. What happens when one light bulb in a series burns out?

If one light bulb in a series burns out, it breaks the circuit and causes all the other bulbs to turn off as well. This is because the current can no longer flow through the circuit without the complete connection of all the bulbs.

3. Can different wattage bulbs be used in a series?

It is not recommended to use different wattage bulbs in a series, as the bulbs will not share the voltage equally. This can cause some bulbs to burn out faster than others and can also result in a dimmer or brighter glow for certain bulbs.

4. How many light bulbs can be connected in a series?

The number of light bulbs that can be connected in a series depends on the voltage of the power source and the wattage of the bulbs. It is important to calculate the total wattage of all the bulbs to ensure it does not exceed the voltage of the power source.

5. Are there any benefits to using light bulbs in series?

One benefit of using light bulbs in series is that they can be controlled by a single switch. This can be useful for lighting applications where multiple bulbs need to be turned on or off simultaneously. Additionally, using bulbs in series can save energy compared to using them in parallel, as the total wattage of the circuit is divided among all the bulbs.