Confusion (3) from Weinberg's QFT.(photon's angular momentum or helicity)

In summary: Psi_{p, \sigma}=\sigma\Psi_{p, \sigma} (k is the standard momentum (0,0,1,1)) if we interpret \sigma as the angular momentum component along 3-axis.
kof9595995
In page 72, equation (2.5.39) gives
[itex]J_3\Psi_{k,\sigma}=\sigma\Psi_{k,\sigma}[/itex] (k is the standard momentum (0,0,1,1))
and he says [itex]\sigma[/itex] will be the helicity. As he explains:
Since the momentum [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex] is in the three-direction, [itex]\sigma[/itex] gives the component of angular momentum in the direction of motion, or helicty
However, [itex]J_3[/itex] is the generator of rotation along the 3-axis(the z-axis), then why isn't [itex]\sigma[/itex] the angular momentum component along the 3-axis in general? It is also the helicity in his case because the standard momentum happens to be along the 3-axis, but what a about a state with arbitrary momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
kof9595995 said:
In page 72, equation (2.5.39) gives
[itex]J_3 \Psi_{k,\sigma}=\sigma\Psi_{k,\sigma}[/itex] (k is the standard momentum (0,0,1,1))
and he says [itex]\sigma[/itex] will be the helicity. As he explains:

However, [itex]J_3[/itex] is the generator of rotation along the 3-axis(the z-axis), then why isn't [itex]\sigma[/itex] the angular momentum component along the 3-axis in general? It is also the helicity in his case because the standard momentum happens to be along the 3-axis, but what a about a state with arbitrary momentum?

The definition of the helicity operator is [itex] (\mathbf{J} \cdot \mathbf{P})/P [/itex]. So, for general momentum value [itex] \mathbf{p} [/itex] you need to prove that

[tex] (\mathbf{J} \cdot \mathbf{P})/P \Psi_{\mathbf{p}, \sigma}=\sigma\Psi_{\mathbf{p}, \sigma}[/tex]

I think this can be done if you take into account how vectors [itex]\Psi_{\mathbf{p}, \sigma}[/itex] transform under rotations and use definition of the Wigner angle.

Eugene.

Last edited:
Now my confusion is what if we interpret [itex]\sigma[/itex] as the angular momentum component along 3-axis? Later in the same page Weinberg plays with generators and [itex]\sigma[/itex] index, and he derived that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is invariant under any Lorentz transform. But obviously angular momentum component along 3-axis can't be a invariant quantity, only helicity can.
To summarise, the math in page 72 looks just as valid if [itex]\sigma[/itex] were angular momentum component along 3-axis, but then we'll arrive at something absurd. There has to be some loophole in the train of thought, so what did I miss?

kof9595995 said:
Now my confusion is what if we interpret [itex]\sigma[/itex] as the angular momentum component along 3-axis? Later in the same page Weinberg plays with generators and [itex]\sigma[/itex] index, and he derived that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is invariant under any Lorentz transform. But obviously angular momentum component along 3-axis can't be a invariant quantity, only helicity can.
To summarise, the math in page 72 looks just as valid if [itex]\sigma[/itex] were angular momentum component along 3-axis, but then we'll arrive at something absurd. There has to be some loophole in the train of thought, so what did I miss?

If [itex] \mathbf{p} = \mathbf{k} \equiv (0,0,1) [/itex] is standard momentum, then the action of the helicity operator coincides with the action of the operator [itex] J_3 [/itex]

[tex] (\mathbf{J} \cdot \mathbf{P})/P \Psi_{\mathbf{k}, \sigma}= (\mathbf{J} \cdot \mathbf{k})/k \Psi_{\mathbf{k}, \sigma}= J_3 \Psi_{\mathbf{k}, \sigma}= \sigma\Psi_{\mathbf{k}, \sigma}[/tex]

For other directions of [itex] \mathbf{p} [/itex] there is no such equivalence. So, operator [itex] J_3 [/itex] should not play any role in arguments concerning the whole Hilbert space of the particle. This should be clear also from the fact that the direction of the 3-axis is observer-dependent, so by using [itex] J_3 [/itex] you cannot derive any general (=observer-independent) result.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
For other directions of [itex] \mathbf{p} [/itex] there is no such equivalence. So, operator [itex] J_3 [/itex] should not play any role in arguments concerning the whole Hilbert space of the particle. This should be clear also from the fact that the direction of the 3-axis is observer-dependent, so by using [itex] J_3 [/itex] you cannot derive any general (=observer-independent) result.

Eugene.
Usually to avoid confusion I think in terms of active transformation,i.e. transform the physical system rather than the coordinate, so we only have one and unique 3-axis. Anyway, Weinberg did not use any helicity operator, he derived the transformation rules only using [itex] J_3 [/itex] (and two other generators which are very trivial when acting on 1-particle state), that's why I'm very disturbed when he claimed [itex]\sigma[/itex] is helicity instead of angular momentum component along a fixed axis(the 3-axis), which ought to be true because he showed [itex]\sigma[/itex] is invariant.

Weinberg's sigma is in the three direction for particles at rest.
You can then boost the particle in any direction, using the "standard boost".
The longitudinal polarization (sigma = 0) is then automatically
in the direction of motion, even though we started with the 3-direction.
This is for massive particles but the logic is the same for massless particles.
I attach some notes from me that are based on Weinberg's book, but translated
to the Bjorken metric and use a slightly different notation.

Attachments

• Polarization vectors.pdf
    147.6 KB · Views: 268
Thank you all, and I think I've figured out my problem, it's more of a notational issue. [itex]\sigma[/itex] is partly defined by [itex]U(L(p))[/itex] via (2.5.5), granted he showed [itex]\sigma[/itex] index is invariant, but if I insist [itex]\sigma[/itex] is angular momentum along 3-axis than helicity as I said in my original post, then this index would be vacuous since in general [itex]J_3\Psi_{p, \sigma}\ne\sigma\Psi_{p, \sigma}[/itex] because of (2.5.5), but helicity will work well.

1. What is Weinberg's QFT and how does it relate to confusion (3)?

Weinberg's QFT, or Weinberg's Quantum Field Theory, is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Confusion (3) is a specific term used in this theory to describe the angular momentum or helicity of a photon, which is a fundamental particle of light.

2. How is confusion (3) different from other forms of angular momentum or helicity?

Confusion (3) is unique because it describes the behavior of a photon, which is a massless particle. Unlike other particles with mass, a photon's angular momentum or helicity is always equal to its spin, meaning it is always either +1 or -1.

3. Can confusion (3) change or vary in value?

No, confusion (3) of a photon is a constant value that does not change. This is because photons have a fixed spin of ±1 and do not experience any interactions that would change their angular momentum or helicity.

4. How is confusion (3) related to the polarization of light?

Confusion (3) is closely related to the polarization of light. In fact, the term "helicity" is often used interchangeably with "polarization" in the context of light. The confusion (3) value of a photon determines its polarization direction, with +1 corresponding to right-handed circular polarization and -1 corresponding to left-handed circular polarization.

5. Is confusion (3) a measurable quantity?

Yes, confusion (3) can be measured through various experimental techniques. One common method is through the use of a polarimeter, which measures the polarization of light. The measured polarization value can then be used to calculate the confusion (3) value of the photon.