Circuit help? with two batteries and resistors

In summary, the current through the circuit is I=V/R, and the power dissipated by the 12Ω resistor is P=I2R. The current through the circuit is I=V/R, and the power dissipated by the R3 resistor is P=I2R.
conov3

Homework Statement

If R3 = 14Ω:
a. What is the current out of the 24 V battery?
b. What is the voltage drop across the R3 resistor?
c. What is the power dissipated by the 12 Ω resistor?

Homework Equations

I=V/R
V=V(R3/Rtotal)
P=I2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers attached but I was unsure which side I should be using or if I am able to add up Voltage from batteries?
I worked it through, just need some clarification and was wondering if I followed through correctly!
Thanks

Attachments

• phys2.pdf
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,549
Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit is connected in series, so the same current flows through all of the components. That means you need to take all the resistances and voltage supplies into account when calculating the current.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44466&stc=1&d=1330373201.gif

One convenient way to write a suitable equation for finding I is to "walk" around the loop taking note of all potential rises and falls as you go. Potential rises or drops when you "walk over" a voltage supply depending upon the direction you're traveling; if you proceed from - to + as you go over it, it's a potential rise. For resistors, if you travel in the same direction as the current then there is a potential drop equal to I*R. The sum of all the potential rises and drops around a complete loop must be zero.

If you start at the bottom of the 24V supply and walk around the loop following the current as shown, can you write the sum of the rises and falls of potential?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    5 KB · Views: 2,135
So does that mean the second battery actually decreases the voltage at 8V? or do the lines within the battery not switch to show direction?
I=(V1-V2)/(R+R+R) so
I=(24-8)/50=>8/25 or .32Amps
Vdrop=(.32)(14)=4.48V then another 8V from other battery. So before the last two resistors, 11.52V remain
V=(.32)(12)=3.84V
V=(.32)(24)=7.68V so after those last two resistors, V=0? does that seem right?

conov3 said:
So does that mean the second battery actually decreases the voltage at 8V? or do the lines within the battery not switch to show direction?
Right. When you pass through the 8V battery in the direction of the assumed current I, there is a voltage drop of 8V.
I=(V1-V2)/(R+R+R) so
I=(24-8)/50=>8/25 or .32Amps
Vdrop=(.32)(14)=4.48V then another 8V from other battery. So before the last two resistors, 11.52V remain
V=(.32)(12)=3.84V
V=(.32)(24)=7.68V so after those last two resistors, V=0? does that seem right?

Your result is okay, although you didn't have to calculate the current right away; you could have written out the equation for the entire loop first, then solved for I:

24V - I*14Ω - 8V - I*12Ω - I*24Ω = 0

Thus: I = (24V - 8V)/(14 + 12 + 24)Ω = 16V/50Ω = 0.32A

thank you!
then for b, voltage drop=.32(14)
and c, P=.322(12)=1.2288J?

conov3 said:
thank you!
then for b, voltage drop=.32(14)
and c, P=.322(12)=1.2288J?

That's the way to do it :wink:

I appreciate the help!
Thanks for your time :smile:

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from a power source, such as a battery, through wires and components, and back to the power source. It typically includes a power source, wires, and various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and LEDs.

How do I connect two batteries in a circuit?

To connect two batteries in a circuit, you can place them in series or parallel. In series, the positive end of one battery is connected to the negative end of the other battery. In parallel, the positive ends of both batteries are connected together, as well as the negative ends.

What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit with two batteries?

Resistors are used to limit the flow of electricity in a circuit. In a circuit with two batteries, resistors can be used to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit and to prevent damage to components.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current is the same at every point in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current can vary at different points in the circuit.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with two batteries and resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with two batteries and resistors, you can use Ohm's Law (R = V/I) and combine resistances using the rules for series and parallel circuits. In series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all resistors. In parallel, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each resistor.