DC vs Step Change Current: Which Induces More Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the induction of current in a conductor and whether a DC current of 50V 10A or a step change from 1mA to 3mA would induce more current. The participants mention using Faraday's and Ampere's laws to solve the problem, but question whether they have enough information to do so. They also consider the arrangement of two parallel wires and the effects of time-varying current on induction. Ultimately, they conclude that more information is needed to accurately determine the induced current.
liam1992
Which can induce more current in a conductor, a DC current of 50V 10A or a step change from 1mA to 3mA?

I thought that in a DC circuit the inductor would not induce a voltage as V=L(δI/δt) where (δI/δt) is 0 for a DC circuit. But then some websites that I have looked at say differently so I'm a bit confused. The question doesn't give me enough information to use any of the equations that I have been taught so could you please tell me how to sove this problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

rude man said:
Try Farady's and Ampere's laws ...

Surely I don't have enough information to apply either of these laws though

The arrangement is of two parallel wires, is it? When the current in one of them matches what you describe, what happens in the other wire? Is that the question?

NascentOxygen said:
The arrangement is of two parallel wires, is it? When the current in one of them matches what you describe, what happens in the other wire? Is that the question?

I don't know, that statement is all that I was given so I don't know if I am supposed to make assumptions or not.

NascentOxygen said:

liam1992 said:
I don't know, that statement is all that I was given so I don't know if I am supposed to make assumptions or not.

Well, with such scanty specifications, maybe you are allowed to wave one wire furiously around in the vicinity of the other https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

liam1992 said:
Surely I don't have enough information to apply either of these laws though

Ah, but you do!

rude man said:
Ah, but you do!

I thought you needed the length of the wire and radius to work out the magnetic field strength and things

liam1992 said:
I thought you needed the length of the wire and radius to work out the magnetic field strength and things

Not in this case.

Hint: one's a dc current, one is time-varying. Then think about Messrs. Faraday and Ampere.

1. What is the difference between DC and Step Change Current?

DC (direct current) is a type of electrical current that flows in one direction, while Step Change Current (also known as transient or pulsed current) is a type of electrical current that varies rapidly in amplitude over a short period of time.

2. Which type of current induces more current?

This depends on the specific application and the desired outcome. In some cases, DC current may induce more current because it is constantly flowing, while in other cases, Step Change Current may induce more current due to its rapid changes in amplitude.

3. How do DC and Step Change Current affect electrical devices differently?

DC current is typically used to power devices that require a constant, steady flow of electricity, such as batteries, while Step Change Current can be used to test the durability and response of electrical devices to sudden changes in current.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with DC or Step Change Current?

Both types of current can be dangerous if not handled properly. DC current can cause electrocution, while Step Change Current can damage electrical devices if they are not equipped to handle sudden changes in current. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate equipment when working with either type of current.

5. Which type of current is more commonly used in everyday applications?

DC current is more commonly used in everyday applications, as it is the type of current that is produced by batteries and most electrical outlets. Step Change Current is typically used in specialized applications, such as testing and research.