A book trying to answer what life is from a physical perspective

In summary, Schrödinger's book was a great read that introduced a new perspective on life and mind. It has been cited as a source of inspiration for both James D. Watson and Francis Crick, who credited the book with presenting an early theoretical description of how the storage of genetic information would work.
castro94
hey , i want to hear your opinion on good books i could read . I just read "whats life? and mind and matter by Erwin Schröndinger , and I am looking for a book that tries to answer similar questions in a physical or philosophycal way , but from a different perspective, and with some revolutionay ideas, any suggestions ?
P.S if you have any good books describing time or entropy, i would appreciate them as well

Physics news on Phys.org
A recent pop sci update on Schroedinger would be...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226739376/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Schroedinger's book was certainly great. And there are many still working on reducing both mind and life to the thermodynamic principles he outlined. I could give you a stack of literature references if you require.

huh...

Schrödinger's aperiodic crystal can be viewed as a well-reasoned theoretical prediction of what biologists should have been looking for during their search for genetic material. Both James D. Watson,[2] and independently, Francis Crick, co-discoverers of the structure of DNA, credited Schrödinger's book with presenting an early theoretical description of how the storage of genetic information would work, and each respectively acknowledged the book as a source of inspiration for their initial researches.[3]

[2] Watson, James D. (2007), Avoid Boring People: (Lessons from a life in science), New York: Knopf, p. 353, ISBN 978-0-375-41284-4. Page 28 details how Watson came to appreciate the significance of the gene.

[3] Julian F. Derry (2004). "Book Review: What Is Life? By Erwin Schrödinger". Human Nature Review. Retrieved 2007-07-15.

schröndigers book was astonishing , it gave me a whole new perspevtive on life . i did miss some things , like in the "whats life " part , i expected it to be more information about how life came to be from the very begning. and in the mind and matter part , he approches the idea from a dualistic perspective , i cannot say that this is wrong but i feel like something that cannot be explained otherways that as " a universal identity from a higher dimension " shouldnot fit in a physics book . he explains how conssiousness is just a brain function for learning , but then he moves to how all our minds are a part of a universal identity ,i`d like to read more arguments for the mind just being brain function. if you think about it , it should not be possible to be otherwise , i mean if human life just came to be through alteration in the arrengement of atoms in a molecule , that gave certain benefits and that then natural selection put farword as a new property of the animal , in which state , our after which "rearengement" of atoms in the DNA molecule in our history did we get a "mind" from a higher dimension ? was this "universal identity " waiting for an animal body that was developed enoguh to take on a "mind ". and how will this mind "givng " work ?
P.S the book you linked seems intersting , thank you. i could not find the book review you mentioned

I would recommend reading "Life at the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology" by Johnjoe McFadden and Jim Al-Khalili. This book explores the intersection of physics and biology, and how quantum mechanics may play a role in understanding the mysteries of life. It offers a unique perspective on the concept of life and how it may be understood from a physical standpoint.

For a more philosophical approach, I would suggest "The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life" by Nick Lane. This book delves into the fundamental question of what drives the emergence and complexity of life on Earth, and offers a thought-provoking perspective on the physical and chemical processes that underlie life.

In terms of books on time and entropy, "The Order of Time" by Carlo Rovelli is a highly recommended read. It explores the concept of time from a physicist's perspective, discussing the nature of time and its relationship to entropy, gravity, and the universe as a whole. It offers a fascinating and accessible look at a complex topic.

Another book to consider is "From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time" by Sean Carroll. This book delves into the concept of time and its role in the universe, discussing theories of time and how they may help us understand the fundamental laws of physics.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a deeper understanding of life, time, and entropy from a physical perspective. Happy reading!

1. What is the physical perspective of life?

The physical perspective of life is the study of life and its processes through a scientific lens. It involves understanding the biological, chemical, and physical mechanisms that govern life and its evolution.

2. How does a book about life from a physical perspective differ from other books about life?

A book about life from a physical perspective differs from other books about life because it focuses on explaining life and its processes through a scientific approach rather than a philosophical or spiritual one. It delves into the physical and tangible aspects of life rather than abstract concepts.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book about life from a physical perspective?

Topics that are typically covered in a book about life from a physical perspective include the origins of life, evolution, genetics, cellular biology, metabolism, and the relationship between living organisms and their environment.

4. How can understanding the physical perspective of life benefit us?

Understanding the physical perspective of life can benefit us in many ways. It allows us to gain a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us. It also helps us make informed decisions about our health and the environment, and contributes to advancements in medicine, technology, and other fields.

5. Is a book about life from a physical perspective suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, a book about life from a physical perspective can be suitable for non-scientists. While it may contain technical terms and concepts, it is often written in a way that is accessible to a general audience. It can also provide a fascinating and informative read for those interested in learning more about the physical aspects of life.