Install custom Latex package for senior thesis

In summary, the person is trying to install a custom Latex package designed by their school, but is having difficulty because they are new to the process. They have a directory of files related to the package, but they are not sure how to install it.
soothsayer
Hi guys! I need some Latex help, so I'll try to be a descriptive as I can,

I need to create a cover sheet for my senior thesis, and I'm trying to use the Latex format designed by my school, which uses a custom package called "ucscthesisbs" that I have to install in order to have the correct cover sheet format. I'm relatively new to Latex, and I'm finding this task impossible. I have a directory of various files I am assuming relate to the package. This directory is open to all and can be found here:

http://dave.ucsc.edu/physics195/BS_TexTemplate/

I downloaded all of these files onto my computer for good measure, they are all in the same directory as the one my thesis tex file is in.

I see that there is a file in the directory whose link I just posted called "how to format", which contains command lines I have surmised that I am supposed to enter into windows command prompt in order to install the package. I attempted this, but it goes wrong at the very beginning, as windows command spits back at me:
------------------
This is pdfTex, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 <MikTex 2.9 64-bit>
entering extended mode
! I can't find file 'ucscbstest'
<*> ucscbstest

Please type another input file name:
------------------
I tried just continuing with the commands I was given, but it did not work. I tried typing in the full file extension, hoping latex would find it, but it did not. So I'm kinda stuck, and in need of some help. How do I go about installing this package?

(I'm using TeXstudio, if that matters at all.)

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a custom LaTeX package?

A custom LaTeX package is a collection of additional commands and features that can be added to the standard LaTeX typesetting program. These packages are created by users to extend the functionality of LaTeX for specific purposes, such as creating a senior thesis document.

2. Why would I need to install a custom LaTeX package for my senior thesis?

Installing a custom LaTeX package for your senior thesis allows you to access new features and formatting options that may not be available in the standard LaTeX program. This can help you create a more professional and polished thesis document.

3. How do I install a custom LaTeX package?

The process for installing a custom LaTeX package varies depending on the operating system you are using. Generally, you will need to download the package files and place them in the appropriate directory for your LaTeX installation. You may also need to update the package index and compile the document using the new package.

4. Where can I find custom LaTeX packages for my senior thesis?

There are many websites and online repositories where you can find custom LaTeX packages for various purposes, including creating a senior thesis. Some popular options include CTAN, GitHub, and Overleaf. You can also search for specific packages using search engines or through recommendations from other LaTeX users.

5. Can I create my own custom LaTeX package for my senior thesis?

Yes, you can create your own custom LaTeX package for your senior thesis if you have knowledge of LaTeX coding and the necessary software. This can be a useful option if you have specific formatting or design needs for your thesis document. However, it is recommended to consult with a more experienced LaTeX user or seek professional help to ensure your package is properly created and installed.