Using Newton's Laws to Escape a Frozen Lake

• Thread starter moneyman4206
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary, the question is about finding a way to reach the shore of a frozen lake with a slippery surface using rocks and Newton's laws. One suggestion is to throw the rocks in the opposite direction of the shore, utilizing the conservation of momentum and Newton's third law. This solution may require a free body diagram, but the person asking the question is unsure as they have not studied the conservation of momentum yet.
moneyman4206
I have this question I have to do for my physics class... I have been thinking about it for an hour now, but can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. here is the question:

You find yourself in the middle of a frozen lake with a slippery surface so slippery (ms = 0, mk = 0) that you cannot walk. However, you happen to have several rocks in your pocket. The ice is extremely hard. It cannot be chipped. The rocks slip on the ice as much (if not better) than your feet do. Can you think of a way to get to the shore? Use free body diagrams and Newton's laws to explain your reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
this may be erroneous but here goes anyway

couldnt you simply throw the rocks in the opposite direction of the shore

This way because of conservation of momentum you will get pushed forward. I guess you should throw them all at once that way you get max acceleration. Otherwise the momentum mayb e not be enough to make you move. You won't slow down becuase there is no firciton.

I was kind of thinking about something like that, but I don't know if I can use it because we have not studied the conservation of momentum yet. If I did do that, how would I draw the free body diagram? Thanks.

thats the best solution. That is Newtons 3'd law. When you throw the rock in the opposite direction, there is an equal and opposite force on you. Now just put the diagram together.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is the significance of studying the middle of a frozen lake?

Studying the middle of a frozen lake can provide insight into the effects of extreme cold temperatures on aquatic ecosystems and the organisms that inhabit them.

2. How does the middle of a frozen lake differ from the edges?

The middle of a frozen lake typically has thicker ice and lower temperatures compared to the edges, which may have thinner ice and more exposure to sunlight.

3. What kind of creatures can survive in the middle of a frozen lake?

Some species of fish, insects, and microorganisms are able to survive in the middle of a frozen lake by adapting to the extreme conditions, such as producing antifreeze proteins or hibernating.

4. Can studying the middle of a frozen lake help us understand climate change?

Yes, studying the middle of a frozen lake can provide valuable data on changes in temperature and ice thickness over time, which can help us understand the impact of climate change on frozen lakes and other bodies of water.

5. How do scientists collect data from the middle of a frozen lake?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to collect data from the middle of a frozen lake, including drilling through the ice to take water and sediment samples, using underwater cameras and sensors, and analyzing satellite imagery.