Do you know this formula?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, this conversation was about a formula named after a famous scientist, and the goal is to guess who that scientist is. The person who answers correctly gets to present a new formula.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Do you know this formula??

Let's try to make a little game out of scientific formulas. The idea is that I post a scientific formula which is named after a famous scientist. The goal is to guess the scientist(s) associated with the formula.

The person who answers correctly, gets to present a new formula. Etc.

So let's start easy:

[tex]\sigma(x)\sigma(p)\geq \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

micromass said:
Let's try to make a little game out of scientific formulas. The idea is that I post a scientific formula which is named after a famous scientist. The goal is to guess the scientist(s) associated with the formula.

The person who answers correctly, gets to present a new formula. Etc.

So let's start easy:

[tex]\sigma(x)\sigma(p)\geq \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]

Heisenberg!

kevinferreira said:
Heisenberg!

Of course! :approve:

You can put up a new formula if you want!

Ok, here it goes a nice (but long) one, with a nice name too:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}P_{m\rightarrow n}(t)=2\pi |\langle n|H_{int}|m\rangle |^2 \rho(E)
[/tex]

Would that be Fermi's Golden Rule?

Here's one that's perhaps not so famous, but has a name that makes me smile when I see it:

$$\frac {n^2 - 1}{n^2 + 2} = \frac{4 \pi}{3} N \alpha$$

Hint: it's named after two people whose names are very very similar.

micromass said:
So let's start easy

I was uncertain, but I thought you might be looking for a deviation from standard nomenclature.

jtbell said:
Would that be Fermi's Golden Rule?

Here's one that's perhaps not so famous, but has a name that makes me smile when I see it:

$$\frac {n^2 - 1}{n^2 + 2} = \frac{4 \pi}{3} N \alpha$$

Hint: it's named after two people whose names are very very similar.

Clausius-Mossotti?

How about this:
$$ \left\langle \alpha' j'm'|T^{(k)}_{q}|\alpha j m \right\rangle = \frac{\left\langle \alpha' j'||T^{(k)}||\alpha j \right\rangle}{\sqrt{2j'+1}}\left\langle kjqm|kjj'm'\right\rangle $$

Dr Transport said:
Clausius-Mossotti?

That's one name for it, but not the name I was thinking of.

jtbell said:
That's one name for it, but not the name I was thinking of.

Lorentz-Lorenz equation?

No idea about Dr Transport his formula though...

micromass said:
Lorentz-Lorenz equation?

No idea about Dr Transport his formula though...

hint: one of the people this formula is named for wrote a very well known group theory book

Dr Transport said:
$$ \left\langle \alpha' j'm'|T^{(k)}_{q}|\alpha j m \right\rangle = \frac{\left\langle \alpha' j'||T^{(k)}||\alpha j \right\rangle}{\sqrt{2j'+1}}\left\langle kjqm|kjj'm'\right\rangle $$

Wigner-Eckart Theorem.

I recognized this as soon as I saw it, but I have been too lazy to think of my own puzzle.

Okay,

[tex]\int \liminf_{n\rightarrow +\infty} |f_n| d\mu\leq \liminf_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \int |f_n|d\mu[/tex]

Thanks, micromass.

Fatou's lemma.chi(L) = [e^(ch(L)).Todd(X)](dim(X)). (3 names)Here's a rather obscure one physics students of Paul Bamberg at Harvard in the 1960's all knew:

617-495-9560 (Bamberg's number)

Last edited:
Wannabe: I just noticed you have to answer the previous one to get to post a question.

mathwonk said:
Wannabe: I just noticed you have to answer the previous one to get to post a question.
Oh, well in that case I have no idea what your formula is lol...Newton's 2nd law is out of the question innit :)? (I deleted my post by the way)

EDIT: is it the Hirzebruch–Riemann–Roch theorem?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
yes! (I got it wrong myself, thinking it was Grothendieck Riemann Roch.)

Yay! Ok mine will still be ##\xi_{[a}\nabla_{b]}\kappa = 0##

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
Yay! Ok mine will still be ##\xi_{[a}\nabla_{b]}\kappa = 0##

zeroth law of black hole thermodynamics

##E = -\lim_{S_{\alpha}\rightarrow \mathcal{P}}\frac{1}{8\pi}\int _{S_{\alpha}}\epsilon_{abcd}\nabla^{c}\xi^{d}##

PhizKid said:
##E = -\lim_{S_{\alpha}\rightarrow \mathcal{P}}\frac{1}{8\pi}\int _{S_{\alpha}}\epsilon_{abcd}\nabla^{c}\xi^{d}##

Why, that's the good ol' Bondi energy, of course!

Here's mine: ##y=mx+b##

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Here's mine: ##y=mx+b##
Is this the Noetherian current obtained from Lorentz transformations? Seems like it.

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
Is this the Noetherian current obtained from Lorentz transformations? Seems like it.

You're getting close!

1. What is the purpose of this formula?

The purpose of this formula is to describe a relationship or phenomenon in a quantitative way. It can be used to make predictions, solve problems, or explain observations.

2. How do you use this formula?

This formula is typically used by plugging in values for the variables and then solving for the unknown quantity. The resulting value will provide information about the relationship described by the formula.

3. Can this formula be used for any situation?

No, this formula is specific to the relationship or phenomenon it describes. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of the formula before applying it to a particular situation.

4. Where did this formula come from?

This formula could have been derived through experimentation, observation, or mathematical reasoning. It may also be a well-established formula that has been used and tested by many scientists over time.

5. Is this formula accurate?

The accuracy of this formula depends on the quality of the data used to derive it and the assumptions made during its creation. It is important to critically evaluate the formula and its limitations before using it for any application.