Derivation of Potential Energy for Multi-Particle Systems

In summary, the author begins by writing down a term equivalent to the total change in kinetic energy of the system, and then examines this integral in two parts: that due to the external forces and that due to the internal forces. However, there seems to be a mistake when changing the order of summation and integration over i for the second term, as the index i still persists in the bounds of the integral. This makes it impossible to combine all the integrals into a single integral. The author may need to revise this step in their development.
AcidRainLiTE
I am reading 'Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach' by J. Jose, and I am confused about a step in the author's development of potential energy for a system of many particles.

He begins by writing down a term equivalent to the total change in kinetic energy of the system:

[tex]\sum_i \int_{x_{i0}}^{x_{if}}\left( \bf{F_i} + \sum_j{\bf{F_{ij}}}\right) \cdot d\bf{x_i}[/tex]

where Fi is the net external force acting on particle i and Fij is internal force exerted by particle j on particle i.

He examines this integral in two parts: that due to the external forces and that due to the internal forces. After dealing with the first term (external forces), he then says that if the order of summation and integration over i is changed, the second term becomes

[tex]\int_{x_{i0}}^{x_{if}} \sum_{i,j}{\bf{F_{ij}}} \cdot d\bf{x_i}.[/tex]

It looks like he brought the summation over i inside the integral, but this does not make any sense because the index i still persists in the bounds of the integral (which is outside the summation). Or to put it another way, in the original integral (with the summation over i outside the integral), the bounds are different in each integral in the summation, so you cannot just combine all the integrals into a single integral. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your observation is correct, there must be a mistake

1. What is potential energy for multi-particle systems?

Potential energy for multi-particle systems is the energy that is stored in a system due to the interactions between multiple particles. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, and is essential in understanding the behavior and dynamics of complex systems.

2. How is potential energy calculated for multi-particle systems?

The potential energy for multi-particle systems is calculated by summing up the individual potential energies of each particle in the system. This can be done using various mathematical equations, such as the gravitational potential energy equation for systems with gravitational interactions or the Coulomb's law equation for systems with electrical interactions.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of multi-particle systems?

The potential energy of multi-particle systems is affected by several factors, including the distance between particles, the type of interaction between particles (e.g. gravitational, electrical), and the masses or charges of the particles. The potential energy also depends on the reference point or the location where the potential energy is being calculated.

4. How is potential energy related to the stability of multi-particle systems?

Potential energy is directly related to the stability of multi-particle systems. A system with low potential energy is more stable, while a system with high potential energy is less stable. This is because a system with high potential energy has a tendency to release that energy and move towards a state of lower potential energy, which is a more stable configuration.

5. Can potential energy for multi-particle systems be negative?

Yes, potential energy for multi-particle systems can be negative. This often occurs when the particles in the system have opposite charges and are attracted to each other, resulting in a negative potential energy. However, the overall potential energy of a system is usually considered relative to a reference point and the sign of the potential energy may change depending on the chosen reference point.