Understanding the Unit Cell of Wurtzite Crystal Structure: A Brief Overview

In summary, the conversation discussed the crystal structure of wurtzite and the two different specifications of its unit cell. The first specification was (1/3,2/3,...) and the second one was not mentioned. The individual was building a simulation of wurtzite crystals and was seeking clarification on the meaning of the specifications. They later found the numbers on a website and realized that they specified the position of an 0 and Zn atom in the unit cell, with only the first two highlighted on the drawing. The reason for the other atoms not being highlighted was not mentioned.
aaaa202
My teacher wrote down something to day which I wish I had written down myself. It was about the crystal structure of wurtzite, which is an ABABABAB stacking of hexagonal lattices. What he wrote was two different specifications of the unit cell of wurtzite depending on which groups of elements in the periodic table were used to build the crystal.
I think the first was something like (1/3,2/3,..) and I don't remember the next one.
The reason I ask now is that I'm building a simulation of wurtzite crystals in a programme and would like to know what he meant exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind the first post. I found the numbers here on:
http://som.web.cmu.edu/structures/S014-ZnO.html
I suppose the numbers specify the position of an 0, and a Zn atom in the unit cell (the first two highlighted on the drawing going from bottom->up). But why are the coordinates of the other atoms not highlighted?

1. What is the Wurtzite crystal structure?

The Wurtzite crystal structure is a type of crystal structure commonly found in semiconductors and other materials. It is characterized by a hexagonal arrangement of atoms with alternating layers of two different types of atoms, typically sulfur and zinc.

2. How does the Wurtzite crystal structure differ from other crystal structures?

The Wurtzite crystal structure differs from other crystal structures in its hexagonal arrangement of atoms. This is in contrast to other common crystal structures such as the cubic or tetragonal structures.

3. What are the properties of materials with a Wurtzite crystal structure?

Materials with a Wurtzite crystal structure typically have anisotropic properties, meaning their properties vary with direction. They also tend to have high thermal and mechanical stability, making them useful in a variety of applications.

4. How is the Wurtzite crystal structure formed?

The Wurtzite crystal structure is formed through a process called molecular beam epitaxy, where atoms are deposited in a controlled manner onto a substrate. This process allows for precise control of the crystal structure and composition of the material.

5. What are some common materials that have a Wurtzite crystal structure?

Some common materials that have a Wurtzite crystal structure include zinc sulfide, gallium nitride, and cadmium telluride. These materials are frequently used in optoelectronics, such as LEDs and solar cells, due to their unique properties and stability.