Basic Doubts on BAR MAGNETISM & Magnetic Reversals

• Thread starter Dr.Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubts
In summary: What are the adverse effects of the Magnetic reversals that take place as for the Earth's magnetic field dirction?3)Suppose we have a bar magnet Of material A with pole strength "m" ... now we make another Bar magnet from same material A with length more than the previous one .. does its "m" change?4) I think we can replace each coil of a solenoid by a bar magnet of pole strength "m" such that md=iA ..right? ... can we do something like replace the solenoid with only one bar magnet with same "m" as the previous method but length equal to that of solenoid's?These are my own
Dr.Brain
OK ..actually i don't have any doubts generally but when I do some new chapters, i do have some.

I was reading about BAR MAGNETISM and about para,dia and ferro properties of materials. My first doubt:

1)How can "angle of dip" at the poles be 90 degrees? .. I think at the South Or North Pole , the bar magnet becomes verticle such that N always points in the direction of the net field.So It should make and angle of 0 degrees at the poles!

2) What are the adverse effects of the Magnetic reversals that take place as for the Earth's magnetic field dirction?

3)Suppose we have a bar magnet Of material A with pole strength "m" ... now we make another Bar magnet from same material A with length more than the previous one .. does its "m" change?

4) I think we can replace each coil of a solenoid by a bar magnet of pole strength "m" such that md=iA ..right? ... can we do something like replace the solenoid with only one bar magnet with same "m" as the previous method but length equal to that of solenoid's?

These are my own doubts.Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question 4 makes sense but you should know that the pole theory has long been abandoned and in India, it is taught only for historical reasons. Some of the books you may consult are older volumes of Resnick and Halliday (part II), Sears/Zemansky and perhaps your textbook as well.

For question 4, you already have half the answer in the question. The magnetic dipole moment is an assigned quantity and so equality of it for two distinct geometries merely implies (if the currents are unequal) the product of the three quantitites that make it up is equal. Further, if two bodies with the same magnetic dipole moment are kept in the same external field, they will experience the same (magntitude) of torque.

Cheers
Vivek

Dr. Brain said:
1)How can "angle of dip" at the poles be 90 degrees? .. I think at the South Or North Pole , the bar magnet becomes verticle such that N always points in the direction of the net field.So It should make and angle of 0 degrees at the poles!

How is "angle of dip" measured?? In other words relative to what? Oh, and I think you should specify north and south magnetic poles.

1. What is a bar magnet?

A bar magnet is a permanent magnet that has two poles - a north pole and a south pole - that are separated by a distance. It has a magnetic field that extends from one pole to the other and can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. How does a bar magnet work?

A bar magnet works by aligning the magnetic domains within the material. The magnetic domains are small regions in the material where the atomic magnetic fields are aligned in the same direction. When these domains are aligned, they create a stronger overall magnetic field for the magnet.

3. What is the difference between a temporary magnet and a permanent magnet?

A permanent magnet retains its magnetism without any external magnetic field, whereas a temporary magnet only exhibits magnetism when it is within the presence of an external magnetic field. Permanent magnets are made of materials with high magnetic properties, while temporary magnets are typically made of materials that have low magnetic properties.

4. What is a magnetic reversal?

A magnetic reversal is a phenomenon where the Earth's magnetic poles switch places. This means that the north magnetic pole becomes the south magnetic pole, and vice versa. It is a natural process that occurs over a period of thousands of years and has happened multiple times in the Earth's history.

5. How do scientists study magnetic reversals?

Scientists study magnetic reversals by examining the Earth's magnetic field through various methods, such as studying the magnetic properties of rocks or analyzing the magnetic patterns on the seafloor. They also use computer models to simulate the process of magnetic reversal and gather data from satellites that study the Earth's magnetic field.