Master Problem-Solving with G.Polya's How to Solve It Book

• Thread starter Moni
  • Start date
In summary, "How to Solve It" by G.Polya is a highly recommended book for anyone interested in intellectual challenges. It covers general methods for solving problems, particularly in mathematics, and is considered a classic in the field. The author, a well-known mathematician, also wrote a sequel called "Patterns of Plausible Inference" which delves deeper into the topic. Overall, "How to Solve It" is a valuable resource for improving problem-solving skills.
Moni
Hey...I've got a new book "How to solve it".

As far as I've read, it's really a fantastic book!

I think this is an outstanding work by G.Polya.

Have you read?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of it...what's it about?

It's about general methods of analyzing and solving problems, mathematics-style. Polya was a semi-famous mathematician. The sequel is called "Patterns of Plausible Inference" and it's much deeper and in my view, much less valuable. But "How to Solve It" is one of those books that anyone who is into intellectual challenges should look at at least. It might be your thing or it might not, but you owe it to yourself to try it out.

Oh! Sorry, I should have given the link:

This is the classic book for solving Mathematical problems :)
Actually, this shows the approach: how to tackle any mathematical problem!

1. What is G.Polya's "How to Solve It"?

G.Polya's "How to Solve It" is a book that outlines a general problem-solving method for approaching mathematical problems. It was first published in 1945 and has been widely used by mathematicians and scientists.

2. What is the main approach outlined in "How to Solve It"?

The main approach in "How to Solve It" is known as the "Four-Step Method." It involves understanding the problem, devising a plan, carrying out the plan, and looking back to check the solution.

3. Can the problem-solving method in "How to Solve It" be applied to other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the problem-solving method outlined in "How to Solve It" can be applied to other fields, such as science, engineering, and even everyday life. It is a general approach that can be used to tackle any problem effectively.

4. How can "How to Solve It" help improve my problem-solving skills?

By following the steps outlined in "How to Solve It," you can develop a systematic and structured approach to problem-solving. This method can help you break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and find creative solutions.

5. Is "How to Solve It" suitable for all levels of problem solvers?

Yes, "How to Solve It" is suitable for all levels of problem solvers, from beginners to experts. The method can be applied to simple or complex problems and can help improve problem-solving skills at any level.